Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Social Welfare Change could Shut Down 400 Post Offices

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Social Welfare Change could Shut Down 400 Post Offices

I don't know if I should put this in the economy section or current affairs section:

Social welfare change 'could shut 400 post offices' | BreakingNews.ie

This is a worrying development in my opinion. I am on a back to education allowance- BTEA (the same rate as jobseekers - 188 euro a week) I always collected my previous jobseekers allowance from the post office and when I was given the option to receive my BTEA allowance through my bank account, I declined as I am quite happy to continue to receive it through my local post office.
    Apart from the devastating effect it will have on post offices, I am also worried about the fact that over the period of a year I would lose out to the equivalent of half a week's allowance (or more) through bank charges etc.
    Is anyone else concerned about this ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd be more worried about the impact on the local post office.
    If you have a bank account you will still be subject to government levies.
    Also, just so you know, by posting here you are open to a lynching for your not working status - consider yourself warned.
    " Hell is other people." No Exit: Jean-Paul Sartre

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PTSB have free banking. Switch to them. While it is not desirable one would have to question a business model that is so dependent on people queueing for a living.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't get this story, The option of having jobseekers payments paid into a bank account was removed a couple of years ago to clamp down on fraud

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No What concerns me is the fact that a post office is making 18,000 a year just on one contract to hand out money. Multiply that by all post offices and we can see there is Hugh saving to be made by paying the money straight in bank accounts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A bit like the banks, it seems that the post office is actively making it more inconvenient for people to use by under-staffing at the counter and allowing long queues to form.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ulster Bank would charge 4 euro per month in fees, 48 per year. Are you getting less than twice that in BTEA? In any case, you likely have to have a bank account for other reasons anyway, it's not like you'll have to open one specifically for this. Utilities offer cheaper deals for direct debit anyway, so you'd probably save money by opening a bank account if you didn't already have one.

I don't think the government should listen to the bleating of post offices. Pay benefits in the cheapest possible manner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobhguy View Post
    No What concerns me is the fact that a post office is making 18,000 a year just on one contract to hand out money. Multiply that by all post offices and we can see there is Hugh saving to be made by paying the money straight in bank accounts.
    How much will the banks charge? You could also be anywhere in the world and still collect your welfare. That's a bit mad, Ted.

Politics.ie Member tipp revolution's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are just some things which will never be economically profitable but are socially important - a post office is one of those lynchpin community services.

An Post wouldnt be profitable in a fit because of the inbred inefficiency at management levels - hangover from p 7 t times and the lack of flexibility with pricing.

Its a cost that the department could justify from a touchy feely point of view. Its a pity that it seems the only way to measure a company's performance is in monetary terms.

To my mind, it's a false economy to take services away from post offices and shut them down. Give more services to post offices I say eg renewal of motor tax. I had to leave a queue in Nenagh at 12.20 last week, due to bad behaviour of junior family members and that I wasnt sure that I would get to a window in time. Everything shuts down at 1pm, regardless of who's left there. At one point, there was one out of four windows open.
    "Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king"
    Diogenes

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tipp revolution View Post
    There are just some things which will never be economically profitable but are socially important - a post office is one of those lynchpin community services.
    Why? What does it do that can't be done cheaper and more efficiently by other channels?

On re-reading the article, I sort of agree with the IPU. People should be allowed to collect their benefits at the post office. But they should pay a fee for doing so, so the government will no longer have to subsidise it. Let's see how much people really value this service.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast