Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Governmnet to examine Good Friday pub closing. They may have no choice.

Politics.ie Member Tin Foil Hat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Governmnet to examine Good Friday pub closing. They may have no choice.

Most of you are probably not aware that today, May 3rd, is Good Friday. Orthodox Good Friday, that is. It was news to me too until I stumbled upon this piece of information a few days before the catholic Good Friday, which we all know and love.

This interesting little tidbit got me wondering how, or if, Good Friday was defined in Irish law. It struck me that, if Good Friday is not properly defined, then the law prohibiting the sale of alcohol on that day is essentially unenforceable.

Reading through the Intoxicating Liquor Acts was of little help, so I emailed the Department of Justice

Hi,

I have a question. As we all know it is illegal to sell alcohol on Good Friday. What I would like to know is how, or if, Good Friday is defined in Irish Law. Good Friday is different for different sects of Christianity. Orthodox Good Friday, for example, falls on May 3rd this year. Our state no longer recognises the ‘special position’ of the catholic church and our constitution states that the state shall not endow any religion.
    So, is there a loophole in the law?

Regards,
    Tony
    And the response:-

It's a bit of a politicians answer, in that it does not answer my question at all. But that, in itself, might be quite telling. It took over a month to get this response, and my query seems to have reached the desk of the Minister, so it seems to have been taking reasonably seriously.

Dear Mr H*****

I am directed by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Mr Alan
    Shatter T.D., to refer to your recent e-mail concerning the prohibition of
    the sale of alcohol on Good Friday.

The position is that the Government Legislation Programme provides for
    publication of the Sale of Alcohol Bill. It is intended that the Bill will
    modernise the law relating to the sale, supply and consumption of alcohol
    in licensed premises and registered clubs, including the statutory
    provisions relating to times when alcohol may be sold, by repealing the
    Licensing Acts 1833 to 2011 and the Registration of Clubs Acts 1904 to 2008
    and replacing them with streamlined and updated provisions. The statutory
    provisions restricting the sale of alcohol on Good Friday, which have
    historical origins, will be examined in that context.

Yours sincerely

Last edited by Tin Foil Hat; 5th May 2013 at 10:24 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice case if you can find an Orthodox Christian who's a publican or owns an off-licence (the 1927 Act just says Good Friday without any definition).

Hopefully they will repeal McDowell's ridiculous early closing on a Sunday night laws.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Congalltee View Post
    Nice case if you can find an Orthodox Christian who's a publican or owns an off-licence (the 1927 Act just says Good Friday without any definition).
    Personally I don't give a hoot either way whether the pubs are open or not on one day of the year, but it is quite obvious that the law was written for Catholic Good Friday, I'm not a lawyer but it would really be a case of the law being overturned by semantics if it was.

I think more to the point is that given he is going to introduce a new bill Shatter now has a chance to overturn some of our ridiculous laws on closing time. I am not a big drinker (hence not too bothered about one or two days a year either way) but when I go out to have a good night with friends it is really annoying that the state tells me what time it expects I should be at home in bed by.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You wouldn't need to be an orthodox publican. If the law is not airtight then its not airtight.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Foil Hat View Post
    You wouldn't need to be an orthodox publican. If the law is not airtight then its not airtight.
    No, you have have the appropriate standing to challenge (there is a constitutional right to a livelihood and religion, there is no right to buy alcohol everyday of the year)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting argument, time to get rid of these ridiculous opening and closing times.

I often go to the shops early, that is before opening time and cannot by a bottle of wine or a bottle of beer, fukking stupid.
    There's a lot to be said for the fellow who doesn't say it himself. -- Maurice Switzer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, you have have the appropriate standing to challenge (there is a constitutional right to a livelihood and religion, there is no right to buy alcohol everyday of the year)
    No there isn't. But any legislation curtailing the sale of alcohol on particular days and/or at particular times needs to cross every 't' and dot every 'i'. Legislation curtailing the sale on alcohol on an undefined day is a like legislation curtailing the sale of alcohol "when it's late".
    Good Friday is not properly defined in law. I can mean one of at least two separate days.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSpeaks View Post
    Interesting argument, time to get rid of these ridiculous opening and closing times.

I often go to the shops early, that is before opening time and cannot by a bottle of wine or a bottle of beer, fukking stupid.
    Given the number of alcoholics in Dublin city centre - off licence opening hours should be well into the afternoon (IMHO).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Foil Hat View Post
    No there isn't. But any legislation curtailing the sale of alcohol on particular days and/or at particular times needs to cross every 't' and dot every 'i'. Legislation curtailing the sale on alcohol on an undefined day is a like legislation curtailing the sale of alcohol "when it's late".
    Good Friday is not properly defined in law. I can mean one of at least two separate days.
    Not really.
    Interpretation Act 2005, Section 5

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast