Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Social Welfare - the last barrier to a Liberal Ireland

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Social Welfare - the last barrier to a Liberal Ireland

There have been many calls over the years for a liberal Ireland. There have been many posts on this website. The important principle is non-interference and this is leading towards gay marriage, gay adoption, abortion and perhaps in time to euthanasia, assisted suicide and so on. But one item that is absent from the agenda is the issue of economics. It seems to me to a glaring oversight. There is no way that a truly liberal country can support Social Welfare. It is an intolerable infringement by government into the rights of individuals.

We need to move on from the thinking of the past. We need a modern Ireland. The old Ireland had social welfare as a cornerstone. We need to have a respectful conversation about ending this. Look at the USA and how liberal they are in comparison and there is very little in the way of social welfare.

The amount spent is enormous and for what? So we can keep unemployed people unemployed? What are the unemployedd contributing to the country? Let's maximize wealth by those who work for the country and who will secure its way out of debt. Let's end this intolerable interference by government. Let's maximize people's choices by securing the means to maximize them. And let us attain the highest level of liberalism, where there is no government interference in the private property rights of our citizens.
    My old hen used to say, "Life is like a rooster house. You never know what you're gone to get."

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Liberal or libertarian? Socially liberal or economically liberal?
    "No." - Rosa Parks

What do we do with the dead bodies ?

So gay marraige eventually leads to euthanasia. I see.
    A few weeks before my grandfather died, he started dipping his feet in a bucket of lard.
    He went downhill very fast after that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The US has a social welfare sytem, it's called the Industrial military complex. What the european government spends on social welfare, the yanks spend on waging wars. As a result taxes are just as high, unless your a member of the 1%, if you are you get huge tax breaks.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai Experiment View Post
    Market forces will take care of that with no wastage. I remember seeing a documentary about it a few years back, I think Charlton Heston was the narrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai Experiment View Post
    organ trafficking?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noelf View Post
    Market forces will take care of that with no wastage. I remember seeing a documentary about it a few years back, I think Charlton Heston was the narrator.
    So you mean the minimum wage would be abolished? Look we tryed this way of thinking for many years, it led to the rise of marxism, is that really what you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Foghorn View Post
    There have been many calls over the years for a liberal Ireland. There have been many posts on this website. The important principle is non-interference and this is leading towards gay marriage, gay adoption, abortion and perhaps in time to euthanasia, assisted suicide and so on. But one item that is absent from the agenda is the issue of economics. It seems to me to a glaring oversight. There is no way that a truly liberal country can support Social Welfare. It is an intolerable infringement by government into the rights of individuals.

We need to move on from the thinking of the past. We need a modern Ireland. The old Ireland had social welfare as a cornerstone. We need to have a respectful conversation about ending this. Look at the USA and how liberal they are in comparison and there is very little in the way of social welfare.

The amount spent is enormous and for what? So we can keep unemployed people unemployed? What are the unemployedd contributing to the country? Let's maximize wealth by those who work for the country and who will secure its way out of debt. Let's end this intolerable interference by government. Let's maximize people's choices by securing the means to maximize them. And let us attain the highest level of liberalism, where there is no government interference in the private property rights of our citizens.
    how much do you make these days on basic social welfare?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Confusing liberalism with libertarianism I see.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast