Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Israel A Potential Oil Giant!

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Israel A Potential Oil Giant!

The old joke about - Q How do we know that God has a sense of humour?
    A Because he put his chosen people in the only place in The Middle East without any oil!
    seems to be not as accurate as it used to be!

With Untapped Oil Reserves, Can Israel Be an Energy Giant? | TIME.com

What implications does this have, well if oil is found in large quantities for Arab-Israeli relations (I think the old frostiness with Saudi might continue to decrease!) and its relationship with the USA? Does it have implications for a real Palestinian state? What of the right to return?
    I guarantee you despite the fact that they may have a few Rambo Burkes among their politicians, their citizens (well The Jewish ones) will receive the most benefit from their natural resources, unlike ours where even Norway will receive far more than our people from our oil and natural gas!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hmmm.

I love all the different cheeses.

This thread will go down well.
    Redacted.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Far too early to say. No doubt it would be used by the Israel lobby as a new argument to suck up to Israel. However America is likely to become energy independent in maybe 20 yrs given it's sitting on more oil than Saudi Arabia according to some on Fox News.

Perhaps OPEC could offer Israel membership as part of a final peace deal with the Palestinians/Arabs. After all even if this is true, the yield being talked about in 10 yrs is only 50,000-100,000 barrells a day, compared to millions for Saudi Arabia. So on its own Israel wouldn't be a serious player.
    Save the 27th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I love all the different cheeses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    A Because he put his chosen people in the only place in The Middle East without any oil!

What implications does this have, well if oil is found in large quantities for Arab-Israeli relations (I think the old frostiness with Saudi might continue to decrease!) and its relationship with the USA? Does it have implications for a real Palestinian state? What of the right to return?
    I guarantee you despite the fact that they may have a few Rambo Burkes among their politicians, their citizens (well The Jewish ones) will receive the most benefit from their natural resources, unlike ours where even Norway will receive far more than our people from our oil and natural gas!
    Well Israel plans to establish a natural gas profit fund based on Norway’s model. The model entails allocating 3 percent of the country’s gas profits to a fund that the state can use for various national needs. Considered the largest in the world, the Norwegian fund contains about $700 billion, and all investments of the fund are foreign-based.
    Shalom: Israel to set up gas profit fund like Norway | JPost | Israel News

In Ireland we seem to have given it all away
    Fight terror, support Israel!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Chaim View Post
    Well Israel plans to establish a natural gas profit fund based on Norway’s model. The model entails allocating 3 percent of the country’s gas profits to a fund that the state can use for various national needs. Considered the largest in the world, the Norwegian fund contains about $700 billion, and all investments of the fund are foreign-based.

Thedre is a subtle difference between the development/maturity of Norways exploitation of resources, and ours.

That is, their supply is well established. There is less risk involved. Consequently, the returns to the state are larger, as you pay exploring companies less/give away fewer concessions.

This nuance appears to be wasted on 99% of people who look at our natural resources.

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post

If such oil shale reserves exist in Israel in large quantities then it's possible and even likely that Syria, Jordan, Egypt and Lebanon would have similar reserves...

I don't think this will change things regarding the Israeli/Palestinian issue one way or another... although it could change the balance of power in the region generally if large oil shale resources are available in those countries that missed out on the liquid oil reserves...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yep, and therein lies the rub. Israel doesnt have to contend with the likes of the incompetent Zanu FF/FG/Lab clique or with the gombeen and corrupt politicians that come with it, i.e. Messrs Ahern, Flinstone, Inda, Baldy, Gilmore and Burke.

We truly deserve the government we get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

interesting strategy....increasing investment diversity (and therefore security) while avoiding the inflatory impact of 700bn washing around the economy.

our klepto politicians would use it grossly overvalue domestic "favoured" companies through senseless investments.
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast