Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sherlock: EU patent referendum planned

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Sherlock: EU patent referendum planned

Minister Sean Sherlock has announced Ireland is to hold a referendum on the creation of the EU Patents court.
    Quote Originally Posted by euobserver.com
    The court is to rule on disputes and is part of the wider setting-up of a single patent system in 25 EU member states.
    How would you vote on this?

For me this will come down partly to the question of whether it brings cheaper generic drugs to Ireland, or rolls back generic drugs in Europe. We need an honest debate on this. Are the pharmaceutical industry lobbying for this or against it? In the UK, generic drugs have an 80% penetration rate, compared to perhaps 5% here.

Against that, EU-wide patents would provide greatly expanded incentives for innovation, as companies across the EU would have to pay inventors for using their technology.
    Save the 27th

sean sherlock is just disgusting the righteous indignation out of him at times is just sickening
    i owe my allegiance only to the working class

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Minister Sean Sherlock has announced Ireland is to hold a referendum on the creation of the EU Patents court.How would you vote on this?

For me this will come down partly to the question of whether it brings cheaper generic drugs to Ireland, or rolls back generic drugs in Europe. We need an honest debate on this. Are the pharmaceutical industry lobbying for this or against it? In the UK, generic drugs have an 80% penetration rate, compared to perhaps 5% here.

Against that, EU-wide patents would provide greatly expanded incentives for innovation, as companies across the EU would have to pay inventors for using their technology.
    Patents, generally, don't encourage innovation.
    The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled, you just become a replica of someone else's mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Minister Sean Sherlock has announced Ireland is to hold a referendum on the creation of the EU Patents court.How would you vote on this?

Why do we need a referendum?

The EU patent system is miles better than the US system, but there is still a lot of idiocy. The original requirement - that an 'invention' be novel - has been forgotten and the result is gigantic companies fighting over who owns rectangles. Last year more money was spent on legal fees fighting mobile phone patent battles than was invested in mobile phone R&D. Thats a sure sign of a broken system.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ill make my choice when I hear Declan Ganleys take on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by james5001 View Post
    Patents, generally, don't encourage innovation.
    It depends on the field really.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Why do we need a referendum?

The EU patent system is miles better than the US system, but there is still a lot of idiocy. The original requirement - that an 'invention' be novel - has been forgotten and the result is gigantic companies fighting over who owns rectangles. Last year more money was spent on legal fees fighting mobile phone patent battles than was invested in mobile phone R&D. Thats a sure sign of a broken system.
    Ask Sherlock why its necessary. I welcome it as a proponent of direct democracy. Perhaps it has something to do with property-rights in the Constitution?

James0001 patents can encourage innovation by providing recompense for cash strapped inventors to recover their investment and profit on it. Ive read recently about how the FDA refused permission for an anti-aging drug in the US because it couldn't afford the patent. I hope we avoid making them prohibitively expensive here though.
    Save the 27th

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A referendum on a patents court ? WTF? They will have to explain very carefully why this is needed or it will be rejected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

James0001 patents can encourage innovation by providing recompense for cash strapped inventors to recover their investment and profit on it. Ive read recently about how the FDA refused permission for an anti-aging drug in the US because it couldn't afford the patent. I hope we avoid making them prohibitively expensive here though.
    The vast, vast majority of patents are taken by huge companies. But a patent is only useful if you have the legal budget to defend it. The average patent case costs €1m in legal fees. Small inventors can't pay that, so their patents are basically worthless. Big companies ignore patents by small guys.

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm going to find out what Shatter is recommending and then I'm going to do the opposite.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast