Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Local Elections In England And Wales Tomorrow 2nd May

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Local Elections In England And Wales Tomorrow 2nd May

Tomorrow the English and Welsh head to the polls for local elections. Alot of chatter on how bad the Conservatives might do and will UKIP make considerable ground.

Most of these seats were last fought in 2009 when the Conservatives won seven in every 10 seats and took control of all but one of the English shire counties.

The Telegraph reports tonight that David Cameron is planning legislation that will introduce a safe guard before the current parliament term ends to ensure an EU referendum occurs in the next parliament.

Veteran Tory Ken Clarke has waded into his party's war of words with UKIP by branding them "a collection of clowns".

The pro-European cabinet minister said UKIP had no positive policies and was just "against" foreigners.
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j...KjKNPNKZiw7bMA

Ed on the campaign trail earlier in the week.
    The 200-strong gathering of pensioners, students and shoppers responded enthusiastically and bombarded Miliband with questions – some hostile – on issues covering immigration, crime and welfare. "There are far too many," one woman shouted out when Miliband touched on immigration. A pensioner then joined in. "No one is listening on immigrants," she said,
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j...KpEvORbQQkNjUQ

The Liberal Democrats could be beaten in the local elections by the UK Independence Party, Nick Clegg has suggested.
    https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j...cU3KKcpMjXxBUw
    Last edited by sport02; 1st May 2013 at 11:51 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if I was a member of the liberal democrats party I'd be worried they could be wiped out like our greens.
    Last edited by karlfernswich; 2nd May 2013 at 12:04 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Point of information.

Only Anglesey in Wales has an election. Their election was supposed to happen last year but was suspended by the Welsh Government when they got hacked off after years of corruption & gombeenism. They've changed the electoral system in an attempt to slay the gombeens.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by karlfernswich View Post
    if I was a member of the liberal party I'd be worried they could be wiped out like our greens.
    Not that simple.

It's Labour that's hammering the Lib Dems, but most of the seats going are Tory ones. A slice of the Tory vote will be lopped off by UKIP, so the Lib Dems might not suffer the damage generally expected.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

With a coalition government rather than the usual majority administration in power, I expect the results to be a little more significant than usual for the national picture.
    I am in line for a smiting probably sooner than I expect. Apparently.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rainmaker View Post
    With a coalition government rather than the usual majority administration in power, I expect the results to be a little more significant than usual for the national picture.
    You're correct.

A good day for UKIP, followed by another (inevitable) one in the Euros next year will set them up for the Generals in 2015. A good vote for UKIP then will damage the Tories & help Labour. 1983 in reverse if you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Wonder how well Labour under posh boy Ed Miliband will do. Not really much of a choice for the English, just three rubbish parties. I expect turnout to be below 50%.

BTW, what is wrong with local elections in GB? They seem to have local elections every year, with some councils, primarily in England having elections, while neighbouring counties and districts not having any vote at all. Surely our system of all local authorities having elections on the same day, and coinciding with European elections is far better, and more simpler to boot?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    Wonder how well Labour under posh boy Ed Miliband will do. Not really much of a choice for the English, just three rubbish parties. I expect turnout to be below 50%.

BTW, what is wrong with local elections in GB? They seem to have local elections every year, with some councils, primarily in England having elections, while neighbouring counties and districts not having any vote at all. Surely our system of all local authorities having elections on the same day, and coinciding with European elections is far better, and more simpler to boot?
    You've got tens of thousands of councillors in the UK as well as different sorts of councils. The system is far more complex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most recent national poll across the water from two days ago. Record high for UKIP with YouGov.
    YouGov poll, which has topline figures of CON 30%, LAB 39%, LD 11%, UKIP 14%. The UKIP score is the highest that YouGov have yet shown for the party

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I say the Greens would be hoping to capitialise on the collapse of a Lib Dem vote. They will be hoping to build on the vote in the General election and add to Caroline Lucas seat. Lucas stood down as leader to allow others to raise their profiles.

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast