Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Russian Documentary (translated in to English) about the Eastern Front in WW2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Russian Documentary (translated in to English) about the Eastern Front in WW2

This if a fantastic documentary well worth watching. It tells the story of WW2 largely from a Soviet perspective. It''s very useful as a source as it is free from the anti-Soviet bias of Western historians and who deliberately underplay the significance of the Soviet role in the Allied victory. British historians are particularly guilty of exaggerating the British contribution to the war effort by focusing on things such as the war in North Africa (despite the fact the Germans only deployed a tiny force there) and the Arctic Conveys (this aid was a tiny fraction of what the USSR supplied themselves and a lot of the British aid was of very dubious value).

I think there are 14 parts in total and the first one is linked

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As no one has commented, I should just say I have watched this, and it is very interesting.

D

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I have seen it all and discovered many new largely unreported things e.g. the undersea cable used by the Germans to fence the Soviet navy inside the Baltic ports. The Soviets repeatedly rammed it but to no avail. Only with the Soviet-Finnish armistic allowing them use Finnish ports were they able to circumvent it.
    Save the 27th

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a wonderful series. It's been on the Military History Channel (on Sky) a couple of times, and will probably run again soon. As Honecker says, it's from the Soviet point of view, and so is most informative, and there is no British or U.S.A. slant. The only thing that was a bit of a nuisance is that the maps with their place names are all in Russian!(and Russian script too,m so you cant even guess!) So you need to have a good mental image of a map of Eastern Europe in your head. Even when it's on late, I sit up and watch it again. Great episode on Stalingrad, and also on the Fall of Berlin.

birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    This if a fantastic documentary well worth watching. It tells the story of WW2 largely from a Soviet perspective. It''s very useful as a source as it is free from the anti-Soviet bias of Western historians and who deliberately underplay the significance of the Soviet role in the Allied victory. British historians are particularly guilty of exaggerating the British contribution to the war effort by focusing on things such as the war in North Africa (despite the fact the Germans only deployed a tiny force there) and the Arctic Conveys (this aid was a tiny fraction of what the USSR supplied themselves and a lot of the British aid was of very dubious value).

Does it contain much pro-soviet bias?
    It would be interesting to see how it covers the Soviet deal with Nazis to split Poland and how Stalin apparently refused to believe intelligence reports that attack was imminent.
    Also I wonder does it cover the purges in the Soviet army in the late 30's and how these might have led to the very high casualties suffered in the opening campaign of the Eastern war?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how can it be from a Soviet perspective - the documentary was obviously made many years after the end of the Soviet Union. Some historian you are...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by birthday View Post
    Does it contain much pro-soviet bias?
    It would be interesting to see how it covers the Soviet deal with Nazis to split Poland and how Stalin apparently refused to believe intelligence reports that attack was imminent.
    Also I wonder does it cover the purges in the Soviet army in the late 30's and how these might have led to the very high casualties suffered in the opening campaign of the Eastern war?
    Not biased really. But it does point out some isolated Soviet successes in the disaster of 1941.
    Save the 27th

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Thanks for this. I have a son who is fascinated by history, and should be very happy to see this.

Not one step back comrades kill the facist pigs

i owe my allegiance only to the working class

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's for posting this, it's always useful to look at things from another perspective, fair play to you.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast