Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortion services for rape victims

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Abortion services for forcible rape victims

Should a woman who has been forcibly raped be allowed an abortion?

I have struggled with this question. On the one hand it's not the fault of the foetus. On the other hand it's just not right to force a women to carry a rapists child to term.

I personally oppose the X-Case ruling but forcing a 13 yr old who has been raped by her father to carry his child in my opinion is appalling.
    Last edited by Dame_Enda; 1st May 2013 at 09:39 PM.
    Real News.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good question, and one that raises dozens of other questions (like the fact that a tiny percentage of rapes are reported, and of that an even tinier fraction resort in convictions). Very few people are infavour of widespread "abortion on demand" but they're happy to export women and girls to the UK so we can pretend we're holier than thou.

Politics.ie Debater
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    Should a woman who has been raped be allowed an abortion?

I have struggled with this question. On the one hand it's not the fault of the foetus. On the other hand it's just not right to force a women to carry a rapists child to term.

I personally oppose the X-Case ruling but forcing a 13 yr old who has been raped by her father to carry his child in my opinion is appalling.
    A rape victim presenting herself to the Gardai is offered the MAP under medical supervision.

Fine if you report immediately afterwards.

Not so good if you don't.

Temporary Ban
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes, I think rape victims should be allowed to abort. It's a conflicting rights position from my pov. Nature has granted the foetus the right to use of the mother's womb, a natural right, IMO, but a woman has the right to not be raped. Since her right was violated, I believe she has the right to end the pregnancy at her discretion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Absolutely. In fact all women up to 8 weeks of pregnancy should be allowed to avail of non publicly funded termination services in Ireland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would not object either. The products of conception should be retained for DNA evidentiary purposes.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    I would not object either. The products of conception should be retained for DNA evidentiary purposes.
    Are you suggesting a Woman should have to report a rape to be entitled to an abortion?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why kill the child ? What crime did they commit ?

It's high time society accepted these children as innocent of any crime.

If necessary, these children can be adopted by the many Irish childless couples only too willing to love and rear them.
    There's a huge waiting list in Ireland for couples seeking adoption.

All these people were conceived as a result of a rape, thankfully they were not aborted :

Conceived in Rape Stories,Lawyer,Dr.,Pastor,&more

Layne Beachley, 7 Time World Champion Surfer, Conceived in Rape

Here is the story of an Irish girl who was raped and decided not to have an abortion and adopted out the child :

KATE HOLMQUIST interviewed this young woman and I thought it would be appropriate to include her story. Her stuggles are honest. Her struggles will find a happy ending as opposed to women who struggle with their decision to abort who will not have a child to reunite with once they are healed. Life is always the best choice.

THE RAPE VICTIM WHO RELINQUISHED HER BABY

Four years ago, 27-year-old Toni was raped on a holiday abroad. Having been made pregnant by her rapist, she says she spent a lot of her pregnancy in denial about the consequences, yet at the same time never considered an abortion. “From the second I found out I was pregnant, I knew I was in no position to be a single parent and I would not have considered a termination. I always believed everything happens for a reason. I think the child has a right to live.”

Throughout the pregnancy, “I thought it would go away”, Toni says. When her son was born, “I didn’t want to hold the child”. Through the hospital social worker, she was referred to a voluntary adoption agency, Pact. The agency counseled her about her choices over “three or four” sessions and when Toni made the final decision to give the baby up for adoption, they told her she could have a choice of several families and showed her their profiles. “I wanted nothing to do with it,” she says.

While the agency and the adopting family were offering an open adoption, Toni felt she couldn’t handle it. “In the beginning, I felt I was not able to . . . the first two years were very very hard. I did not want contact.” But eventually she opted for “semi-open” adoption. Twice a year she sends a letter and the birth parents respond with letters and photographs of her three-year-old son.

This is known as “letterbox” adoption. Asking how seeing a photograph of her son makes her feel, Toni is lost for words. He’s the child of her rapist, after all. “At some point, I will want to meet the child, but not for a while,” she says. “The parents will tell when the time is right. It’s their child.”

She believes that giving her son to a couple needing one was a way in which she could turn her own trauma into something good.

Toni isn’t in a relationship now and doesn’t know if she’ll have children in the future. “I’m still young. I travel. It’s not something that fits in to my life right now,” she says.
    Last edited by Zerubbabel; 2nd May 2013 at 08:49 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IbrahaimMohamad View Post
    Are you suggesting a Woman should have to report a rape to be entitled to an abortion?
    no
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post

Absolutely. In fact all women up to 8 weeks of pregnancy should be allowed to avail of non publicly funded termination services in Ireland.
    Why non publically funded?

If a woman was the victim of a hit and run driver would you support her medical teatment being publically funded?

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast