Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: What's available under the freedom of information act.

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member topcat4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default What's available under the freedom of information act.

    What documents are available under the FOI act??

    Specifically I'm looking for housing (files) records, can you for instance, request from a County Council someones (not your own) housing file.

    I'm aware that if its your own they will give you everything but what if you asked for somebody elses, what would the council give you?

    Do any posters have info on this.

    For the record I'm researching how housing is allocated in each County Council area.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member topcat4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Anybody?????

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Debater
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Here there and everywhere.
    Posts
    40,585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Bodies Covered by FOI | Freedom of Information

    These are the bodies covered by it. You might want to dig around on the site, but I doubt that they will offer anything other than the most obvious documents up front.

    It would make little sense to offer documents that could be used against them.

    Far better to keep them quiet and wait for a FOI request which can be assessed at that time.

    I'd mooch around the FOI site (there are sample requests there) and then approach the body you're seeking disclosure from.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Lonewolfe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    17,449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Information.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Ulster-Lad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Dún na nGall
    Posts
    10,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfe View Post
    Information.
    Specifically whatever information the government is willing to release.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Debater
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Here there and everywhere.
    Posts
    40,585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by topcat4 View Post
    What documents are available under the FOI act??

    Specifically I'm looking for housing (files) records, can you for instance, request from a County Council someones (not your own) housing file.

    I'm aware that if its your own they will give you everything but what if you asked for somebody elses, what would the council give you?

    Do any posters have info on this.

    For the record I'm researching how housing is allocated in each County Council area.
    BTW, I doubt that they'd give you such a file.

    What's on it? Rent rates? Income? Personal data on the occupants?

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member topcat4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Des Quirell View Post
    BTW, I doubt that they'd give you such a file.

    What's on it? Rent rates? Income? Personal data on the occupants?
    Its really the file from housing, which would include a person's application for social housing, then to track that file as it moves, what way it was handled by housing staff and what Councillors made representations on behalf of the applicant.

    I'm not interested in any personal data.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    26,299
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    They won't give ye that,

    For the same reason as you can't ask the DoH for you neighbours health records,

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Bunker...Returning Fire!
    Posts
    29,322
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by topcat4 View Post
    What documents are available under the FOI act??
    Put in an FOI request to find out.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Debater
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Here there and everywhere.
    Posts
    40,585
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by topcat4 View Post
    Its really the file from housing, which would include a person's application for social housing, then to track that file as it moves, what way it was handled by housing staff and what Councillors made representations on behalf of the applicant.

    I'm not interested in any personal data.
    I'm sure that if you were to get anything it would be very heavily redacted.

    You likely wouldn't be left with more than an address.

    You can always try, though. The application request and process and the level of fees are all on the site.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •