Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Some ''Downturn'' - 2,600 Jobs to be Created by Glanbia and Upgrading Roads!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Some ''Downturn'' - 2,600 Jobs to be Created by Glanbia and Upgrading Roads!

Well, in an ironic attempt to highlight the absurdity of the ''Some Recovery'' threads, some good news today.

1600 jobs to be created by Glanbia in Kilkenny.
    Job boost for Kilkenny as Glanbia set to create 1,600 positions | Irish Examiner

There will be a further 1000 jobs created in upgrading the N11 and N7 and, the best part is, they will be toll free.
    Over 1,000 jobs to be created in roads upgrade - RTÉ News

We are in a far different place to where we were in December 2010 and I think it is time to recognise that.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Good news. 1000 jobs created in major roads upgrade

Some further good news announced with thee government finally signing contracts for the upgrade of Newland's Cross and the M11 motorway.

Over 1,000 construction jobs will be created in the next two years as part of a major upgrade of the N11 and N7 road networks.

BAM Contractors today signed a public-private partnership contract worth €282m with the National Roads Authority on behalf of the Department of Transport.

The project will see BAM design and build a new freeflow junction at Newlands Cross on the N7 and carry out several works on the N11.

There will not be any tolls on the new sections of road that they are constructing.

As part of the deal signed, they will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the road sections for 25 years.
    The new junction at Newlands Cross will enable motorists to drive from the south to the north of the country without hitting any traffic lights.

The works on the N11 include the construction of a 16km dual carriageway linking the end of the Arklow bypass with the end of the Ashford bypass, as well as two new interchanges at the Beehive junction and at Jack White's crossroads.
    A service area will also be built at Ballyellin on the Gorey bypass.

Construction on the projects is expected to begin in May.
    More: Over 1,000 jobs to be created in roads upgrade - RTÉ News

The Newlands X junction is a nightmare so the sooner it is finished the better it will be for Ireland's motorists. And with this and the N40 free flow junctions being currently built in Cork it will soon be a case of being able to drive non-stop from the west side of Cork City all the way to the Sprucefield junction near Belfast.

Dancing banana time

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i wonder how many of the construction jobs will be filled by irish people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devoutcapitalist View Post

Last year the part of the N25 near me was worked on and the road crew were all from England.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tigerben View Post
    Last year the part of the N25 near me was worked on and the road crew were all from England.
    i could be a similar situation as regards the n7 and the n11 except from a different country.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wonder how many Irish are working construction jobs in Canada/Australia? Should we demand they return?
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i could be a similar situation as regards the n7 and the n11 except from a different country.
    BAM Contractors (an Irish subsidiary of a Dutch company) have the contract.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well we emailed him indoors CV to BMA Contractors today as soon as we heard about the N7 job, expect they could be supplied through agencies, but await and see...
    Repeal the 8th

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Well, in an ironic attempt to highlight the absurdity of the ''Some Recovery'' threads, some good news today.

1600 jobs to be created by Glanbia in Kilkenny.
    Job boost for Kilkenny as Glanbia set to create 1,600 positions | Irish Examiner

There will be a further 1000 jobs created in upgrading the N11 and N7 and, the best part is, they will be toll free.
    Over 1,000 jobs to be created in roads upgrade - RTÉ News

We are in a far different place to where we were in December 2010 and I think it is time to recognise that.
    Explain to me how you know there's going to be 1,600 jobs "created" in Kilkenny.

As for us being "in a far different place to where we were in December 2010", has the number of unemployed people fallen dramatically, and have we had no emigration.

I'd love an improvement in the economy. I've one kid in uni and another one due to start. The last thing I want is for them to join the youth-rush out of what they see as a basket-case.

What has got you so chipper all of a sudden?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    I wonder how many Irish are working construction jobs in Canada/Australia? Should we demand they return?
    of course not, i was making the point that it is quite possible that the majority of people employed on these road schemes could be foreign, even if the contractor is irish.

Page 1 of 35 1234511 ... LastLast