Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mississippi - the "Ireland of America"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mississippi - the "Ireland of America"?

In a news story about the attempt to send a poisoned letter to the President, this comment about the State of Mississippi came to my attention:

As a sixth-generation Mississippian, I’ve come to understand that in many ways Mississippi is the Ireland of America. It’s a green place where literature and music are valued more than acquiring wealth (perhaps because we’ve always been better at the former than the latter). Drinking and fighting are accepted and often respected social endeavors, and defending one’s honor is still considered worthy if not mandatory.
    Oxford, Miss. Famous: Elvis, Kimonos, Castor Beans and a Grinder - The Daily Beast

Well! Time for an outbreak of national outrage, I think.

We are talking about a place where the national legislature has rejected a reasonable measure of control on lethal weapons, and schools are buying bullet-proof backpacks for pupils. So let's have some "Vingince, bejasus!".

US schools weigh bulletproof uniforms: 'It's no different than a seatbelt in a car' | World news | The Guardian
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a bloody disgrace. I'll box the head of anyone who says we Irish are violent and like to fight. But first time for my afternoon pub session.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As a sixth-generation Mississippian, I’ve come to understand that in many ways Mississippi is the Ireland of America. It’s a green place where literature and music are valued more than acquiring wealth (perhaps because we’ve always been better at the former than the latter). Drinking and fighting are accepted and often respected social endeavors, and defending one’s honor is still considered worthy if not mandatory
    Can't muster up an argument against anything said there.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bit of a slur on the Mississippian's but one can see the similarities...

Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    Bit of a slur on the Mississippian's but one can see the similarities...

Nah, Ulster Scots settled those lands. Took us Kafflicks later on to civilise the states.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mississippi is comparable to places West Kerry perhaps. But that's the way if it. Rural, uneducated, conservative areas have much more in common with each other, at least within broader western civilization, regardless of nation that they do with urban, educated, dynamic centers. I've lived in a number of large cities and I find they all have far more in common with Dublin does that deepest, darkest rural Ireland (Monaghan) does. The problem, of course, is that rural areas produce educate, broad minded people, but the go to college and never come back. Its a vicious circle, really.

Anyway, I'm not sure in what circles in Ireland violence is acceptable, but certainly not amongst anyone I know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discentes View Post
    Mississippi is comparable to places West Kerry perhaps. But that's the way if it. Rural, uneducated, conservative areas have much more in common with each other, at least within broader western civilization, regardless of nation that they do with urban, educated, dynamic centers. I've lived in a number of large cities and I find they all have far more in common with Dublin does that deepest, darkest rural Ireland (Monaghan) does. The problem, of course, is that rural areas produce educate, broad minded people, but the go to college and never come back. Its a vicious circle, really.

Anyway, I'm not sure in what circles in Ireland violence is acceptable, but certainly not amongst anyone I know.
    People from West Kerry are educated just look at Joe Higgins, would a champion of the left come from West kerry if it was such a case? I think you mean South Kerry the gombeen and redneck part of the county!!

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mississippi is the Mississippi of America..

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who should be more offended, us or them??

HMMMMMMMMMM this is a stonker!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast