Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Abortion at EU level

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Abortion at EU level

Sorry to start another thread on abortion but I was thinking (because I'm home sick with an ear infection and am completely bedridden) about abortion across the EU and how pro-life EU supporters feel about it?

Surely it is a paradox to support the EU and be pro-life? I know many pro-lifers on here are not overly enamoured with the EU so this is not directed towards them. If you are so pro life why are you not also protesting outside all the embassies of EU states that provide abortion, especially the UK embassy? How many abortions has the British state facilitated for Irish women? Why is our minister of state for European affairs, Lucinda Creighton, a pro-lifer not getting upset about abortions being available, on demand, in other EU states? Why is she so pro-Europe if that Europe has so much on-demand abortion?

My views on this are clear - I'm pro-choice (or pro-abortion, pro-death, baby killer, heard them all) and anti EU so I was merely wondering how those who are my polar opposite feel? I know there are plenty of people with strong opinions on this but I am only interested in those I list above?
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's so much in that OP to cause a row.

EU & Abortion. Its like the alpha and omega of a P.ie row.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Abortion isn't an EU competence, so the premise of the OP is irrelevant.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post

I know. I'm really not trying to start a fight, I am just wondering how people can have such strong views against/for abortion and be so against/for the EU. Seems bizarre to me? Come to think of it, it's almost like a 'states rights' argument in the US with the EU being the federal government?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post

Yep, I wish he'd thrown in a bit of stuff about bankers' salaries, TDs' pensions, a bit of generic "snouts at the trough", and so on. Then everyone could enjoy it more fully.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post
    I know. I'm really not trying to start a fight, I am just wondering how people can have such strong views against/for abortion and be so against/for the EU. Seems bizarre to me? Come to think of it, it's almost like a 'states rights' argument in the US with the EU being the federal government?
    Well abortion is not an EU competence, meaning that its up to each individual state what their abortion policy is.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Yep, I wish he'd thrown in a bit of stuff about bankers' salaries, TDs' pensions, a bit of generic "snouts at the trough", and so on. Then everyone could enjoy it more fully.

There really should have been even a passing reference to Sinn Fein, like sneak in a quote from Mary Lou and maybe some Joos too, to really spice it up, like something Alan Shatter said.

Politics.ie Member Sister Mercedes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Only Chile, Malta and the Vatican have more restrictive Abortion Legislation than Ireland. And in Chile and Malta the legislation is largely ignored.

Abortion law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I wouldn't be the biggest cheerleader for the EU, but it has its advantages, like dragging us into the 21st century and away from the Roman church's clutches, if kicking and screaming... Irish membership of the EU has done more for us women than many sausage-fests of successive indigenous governments.. My commiserations on your ear infection...I get them as well, and nothing is more painful...get better soon What you need is a long, hot summer!!
    History repeats itself. First as tragedy, second as farce.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Abortion isn't an EU competence, so the premise of the OP is irrelevant.
    It's not a question of competence, its more about how you can reconcile a strong opposition to abortion with strong support for creating a superstate which contains jurisdictions which have abortion on demand? Why are we not lobbying the UK to stop them allowing Irish women using their abortion clinics? Abortion is abortion, simply saying 'not in my backyard' is not stopping it from happening? It's puzzling?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast