Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A pro copyright, anti piracy stance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A pro copyright, anti piracy stance

Personally my view is that copyright is a matter of fundamental morality, though I'd of course agree in the real world there are some grey areas. Let's take a black and white example of a band.

Scenario One
    The band play to a paying audience in a closed venue for 70 minutes. Here the band are clearly being paid for their services, there is a clear contract between the audience and the band - and both are free and willing participants.

Scenario two
    The band record an album in the studio, and release it for sale to the general public. Here again the band are seeking to be paid for their services and offering a clear (albeit deferred ) contract to their prospective audience - and both are free and willing participants.

If you pirate scenario 2 music you are clearly stealing the band's service and that is immoral. Does anyone disagree ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member Astral Peaks's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Brace yourself cYp, the me feiners and proto-libertarians will be all over this.
    "Don't need a whore, I don't need no booze, don't need a virgin priest."

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

...anybody else hear the hooves of some strange bee-like creature galloping in this direction?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintop View Post
    ...anybody else hear the hooves of some strange bee-like creature galloping in this direction?
    Sheebee?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    Personally my view is that copyright is a matter of fundamental morality, though I'd of course agree in the real world there are some grey areas. Let's take a black and white example of a band.

Scenario One
    The band play to a paying audience in a closed venue for 70 minutes. Here the band are clearly being paid for their services, there is a clear contract between the audience and the band - and both are free and willing participants.

Scenario two
    The band record an album in the studio, and release it for sale to the general public. Here again the band are seeking to be paid for their services and offering a clear (albeit deferred ) contract to their prospective audience - and both are free and willing participants.

If you pirate scenario 2 music you are clearly stealing the band's service and that is immoral. Does anyone disagree ?

cYp
    I disagree. Scenario 2 presumably includes people who otherwise would have purchased the music in question, and people who otherwise would not have. I believe that only the former group are acting unethically since only the former group unnecessarily deprive the band of something that they otherwise would have received (the revenue from the sale of the music).
    Repeal the 27th.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Alternative view is that the album is advertising/marketing to get people to attend your shows where you make your living.
    "It is important therefore that I clarify to the House that in the first instance there are significant monies within Anglo-Irish to take the strain of loan losses arising over the next three or four years, before State support is engaged." Brian Lenihan 15/01/09

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    I disagree. Scenario 2 presumably includes people who otherwise would have purchased the music in question, and people who otherwise would not have. I believe that only the former group are acting unethically.
    But scenario 2 has an unethical component, yes? Vested in the individual who actually pirates the IP and those who purchase the pirated IP.

Boggle

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post

Scenario One

Scenario two

cYp
    It's not stealing, it's duplicating.
    It's not immoral either.

It's simply try before you buy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    I disagree. Scenario 2 presumably includes people who otherwise would have purchased the music in question, and people who otherwise would not have. I believe that only the former group are acting unethically.
    So because they had no intention of paying, it is not theft ?

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Dylan2010

Ill take the other side , copyright is not a fundamental right and certainly not a anything akin to a natural right, Its simply a law to benefit producers. There are good examples of where it didnt exist in important parts of Europe so its cant be called a self evident principle

Page 1 of 26 1234511 ... LastLast