Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Marie Fleming loses right to die Supreme Court appeal

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Marie Fleming loses right to die Supreme Court appeal

The Supreme Court have made what appears to have been the only ruling they could have made:

It ruled that while the Irish constitution guarantees a right to life there is no corresponding right to die with the help of others.

Delivering the judgement, Chief Justice Susan Denham described it as a "very tragic case".
    The courts didn't have a choice here, if we want there to be a "right to die" it needs to be addressed through legislation. So now we have that clear answer from the justice system, the question moves to the govt. they can't bat it to anyone else: do we want to provide a right to die for people in certain circumstances. And yes or no are both reasonable positions, but a position must be taken.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member rockofcashel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And it should be. I honestly cannot fathom the refusal of someones right to die, so long as they are mentally competent enough to make the decision for themselves.
    1,197 people agree with me.. how many agree with you ?

There will be no legislation in this area. It is a legal can of worms akin to abortion and why draw another legislative debacle upon your shoulders unnecessarily?
    Last edited by Keith-M; 29th April 2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

<PLEB> There is an existing thread on this here <PLEB>
    http://www.politics.ie/forum/health-...ml#post6707796

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd agree with rockofcashel here - hard to see how this woman, who has her full mental faculties, and is fully competent to make a decision, could be denied the choice to avoid a long painful death.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith-M View Post
    There will be no legislation in this area. It is a legal can of worms akin to abortion and why draw another legislative debacle upon yours shoulders unnecessarily?
    Classic excuse of a FF supporter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Personally, I feel that everyone should have the right to self-determination around their end of life decisions and it should operate within necessary safeguards, top of that list being your competency to make that informed decision.

Boggle

Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    Personally, I feel that everyone should have the right to self-determination around their end of life decisions and it should operate within necessary safeguards, top of that list being your competency to make that informed decision.
    What gives the state the right to meddle in whether someone wants to die? Once they are of sound mind and they are doing it for rational reasons, then you can only assume that they have made the right decision.

It's a decision that we can not understand. How could we understand when we have never been in a position where we coldly and rationally decided that death was preferable to the life that lay before us?

Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    How many people that take their own lives are truly making an "informed decision" rather than finding permanent "solutions" to temporary problems?
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    The Supreme Court have made what appears to have been the only ruling they could have made:

The courts didn't have a choice here, if we want there to be a "right to die" it needs to be addressed through legislation. So now we have that clear answer from the justice system, the question moves to the govt. they can't bat it to anyone else: do we want to provide a right to die for people in certain circumstances. And yes or no are both reasonable positions, but a position must be taken.
    Government clarification? They do love themselves some hot potatoes they do.

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast