Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 73 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Some "recovery" : Xtravision goes the way of HMV

Default Some "recovery" : Xtravision goes the way of HMV

Xtravision set to appoint receiver | Irish Examiner

Over a thousand jobs lost and another major High Street name bites he dust. Very sad day for all those involved.
    Thank you for the six thousand likes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Terrible day- I enjoyed Xtravision.

Staff were always great craic & made the whole Transaction all the more enjoyable.

These green shoots really are a serious problem, sprouting up & strangling everything all over the country....

I wonder if the upward only rent review farce was an issue. certainly can't have helped.
    A few weeks before my grandfather died, he started dipping his feet in a bucket of lard.
    He went downhill very fast after that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sad but inevitable with the growth of internet, satellite etc. Hard to see how Xtravision could have adapted.
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

So the position of both Keith and d4 is that this is somehow the recessions fault correct? Not the inevitable end for a poorly ran business in a dead industry? Because that's the only conclusion that can be drawn from the rubbish title and green shoots comments.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pity to see all those jobs go, but this business model is dead, and has been for a decade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More business leaving then coming it seams.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Obviously sad for the staff but you really can't take anything about the economy from this.

Even in the strongest economy, Xtra Vision would fail. Why would anyone rent DVDs for €2 or €3 a night when they can subscribe to the likes of netflix for less than a a tenner a month and not even have to leave the house?

And that's assuming folk operate legally - illegal downloading makes film-watching free. And even for those determined to operate legally AND watch an actual physical DVD (due to net connection or whatever), the retail cost of DVDs is so low (whether online or in the high street) that DVD rental was always going to fall by the wayside.

This is sad for those losing jobs, but is not an indication one way or another of the health of the economy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    So the position of both Keith and d4 is that this is somehow the recessions fault correct? Not the inevitable end for a poorly ran business in a dead industry?
    I'll articulate my own position thank you.

This wonderful "Recovery" didn't save Xtravision etc.

Rising tide lifting all Boats yada, yada...

Dylan2010

it is simply the wrong business to be in now , on line and on demand have made it yesterday's business and the rest of their offering like trying to sell mobile phones and games etc. was too confusing for everyone.

Page 1 of 73 123451151 ... LastLast