Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Northern Ireland Civi Rights Association

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Northern Ireland Civi Rights Association

So for an end of term university assignment we were assigned a task for a social justice module I'm taking where you have the option to base on any civil rights movement/organisation. As I've an interest in NI I figured I'd base mine on NICRA. As part of it we've to discuss how successful where they in their aims, what did they achieve and what can be learned from it (i.e obstacles faced with political and legal systems).

Their main aims as far as I can see where; one man, one vote, an end to gerrymandering, end of discrimination in government jobs, end of discrimination in housing,the removal of the Special Powers Act and the disbandment of the B-Specials. Since I've a 2500 word limit Im not going to deal with special powers act/b-specials as I wouldnt have enough words and they're not rights based as such.

When looking at the successes/failures I wanted to include equality legislation that was introduced at the time but as of yet the Fair Employment Act 1976 is one of the few I can find from that period. Is there any legislation relating to gerrymandering, voting rights or allocation of houses that I'm unaware of? Or was there other methods outside of legislation that these practices were abolished?

Any help/opinions on the above or the organisation as a whole would be great or if anyone has links to any good articles it would be greatly appreciated!
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishWelshCelt View Post
    So for an end of term university assignment we were assigned a task for a social justice module I'm taking where you have the option to base on any civil rights movement/organisation. As I've an interest in NI I figured I'd base mine on NICRA. As part of it we've to discuss how successful where they in their aims, what did they achieve and what can be learned from it (i.e obstacles faced with political and legal systems).

Their main aims as far as I can see where; one man, one vote, an end to gerrymandering, end of discrimination in government jobs, end of discrimination in housing,the removal of the Special Powers Act and the disbandment of the B-Specials. Since I've a 2500 word limit Im not going to deal with special powers act/b-specials as I wouldnt have enough words and they're not rights based as such.

When looking at the successes/failures I wanted to include equality legislation that was introduced at the time but as of yet the Fair Employment Act 1976 is one of the few I can find from that period. Is there any legislation relating to gerrymandering, voting rights or allocation of houses that I'm unaware of? Or was there other methods outside of legislation that these practices were abolished?

Any help/opinions on the above or the organisation as a whole would be great or if anyone has links to any good articles it would be greatly appreciated!
    Best I can offer - CAIN: Events: Civil Rights: Bob Purdie (1990) Politics in the Streets

You might find some surprises - for example

In February the committee issued a statement deploring Ian Paisley's campaign against the visit of the Church of England Bishop of Ripon. It convened another meeting on 9 April to present the draft constitution and this meeting officially brought NICRA into existence. The new constitution, which was based on that of the NCCL, emphasised the association's character as a body which would make representations on the broad issues of civil liberties and would also take up individual cases of discrimination and ill-treatment. The five objectives of the association were:

I To defend the basic freedoms of all citizens.
    2 To protect the rights of the individual.
    3 To highlight all possible abuses of power.
    4 To demand guarantees for freedom of speech, assembly and association.
    5 To inform the public of their lawful rights.13

These objectives said nothing about concrete grievances over discrimination in housing, employment and the electoral franchise. They underline the character of NICRA at this stage as an organisation which, like the NCCL, was concerned with the defence of legal and constitutional rights and the grievances of individuals, not with militant protest.

Page 133

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

quick summary...
    At the outset the movement was supported by every shade of political colour, including some individual members of the, Unionist Party. In the end the campaign was hijacked by the gunmen
    Politics in the Streets:
    The origins of the
    civil rights movement
    in Northern Ireland
    by Bob Purdie (1990)

Edit snap!!
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Politics.ie Member IrishWelshCelt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Best I can offer - CAIN: Events: Civil Rights: Bob Purdie (1990) Politics in the Streets

You might find some surprises - for example

Page 133
    Thanks Criumh thats quite useful, CAIN is a good site just hard to find what you're looking for at times.
    "Against brute force and injustice the people will have the last say, that of victory" - Commandante Che Guevara

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I may as well get all the usual unionist talking points put of the way now sure:

NICRA was a SF/IRA front organisation and the B-Specials/RUC/UVF were absolutely correct to beat the phuckers off the streets.

Have I missed anything?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    I may as well get all the usual unionist talking points put of the way now sure:

NICRA was a SF/IRA front organisation and the B-Specials/RUC/UVF were absolutely correct to beat the phuckers off the streets.

Have I missed anything?
    That's about it i'd say. But it won't help the essay victim at all.

Will any unionist at least accept that they made serious mistakes around those days which really did'nt help matters at all?
    If the whole saga in the 1960's had been managed better much of what followed ever since could have been avoided i'd say.
    History now i know.
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post

Have I missed anything?

Marching where they 'weren't wanted' causing the peaceful residents to counter protest...
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    Marching where they 'weren't wanted' causing the peaceful residents to counter protest...
    Wonder where they got that idea from??????????????????
    Сохранить Украины

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    Since when was NICRA an ussuns versus themuns? The civil rights movement cut right through religious boundaries. Equating NICRA with the OO is daft.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Stormont government passed a vote (28 for, 22 against) on 23rd April 1969 to reform voting for local government elections. However, it would be four years later before the first election in Northern Ireland would take place under universal adult suffrage.

Campaign for Civil Rights - Civil Rights Campaign

The Housing Executive Act (Northern Ireland) 1971

CAIN: Issues - Discrimination: 'Discrimination and Housing' from Perspectives on Discrimination and Social Work in Northern Ireland

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast