Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Possible Solution for FG Pro-Life Backbenchers - Join Fianna Fail

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A Possible Solution for FG Pro-Life Backbenchers - Join Fianna Fail

The media have largely ignored the extraordinary outcome of the weekend's Fianna Fail Ard Fheis where three strong "Pro-Life" motions were carried with reportedly only one speaker against. This is at variance with Michael Martin's attempt to blend his declaration that "Fianna Fail is a pro-life party" with a more considered "mother must come first" approach. Clearly the Ard Fheis did not think so.

This might be an opportune time for all those backbench Fine Gael members who have "concerns" and "serious concerns" about "floodgates" in relation to the proposed X Case legislation to take the logical step and move their allegiances to Fianna Fail - a party where they would clearly be much happier and whose Ard Fheis they would have absolutely loved!

Over the past forty years, Fine Gael have tended to be the voice of socially liberal voters (true, there have been a few blips on that screen but generally speaking...) while Fianna Fail have been instinctively socially regressive. Remember it was Fianna Fail who, not all that long ago, passed legislation requiring Medical Doctor's Prescription for Condoms and whose leader Charles Haughey mercilessly hounded the Fine Gael party into introducing the disastrous "Pro Life" constitutional amendment in 1983.

It is clear that the "concerned" Fine Gael backbenchers are in the wrong party and might now consider moving to where they really belong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF are probably still too toxic to contemplate a move. But if they ever look like seriously winning the next General election then I wouldn't be surprised if a few pointless backbenchers like Michelle Mulherin or John O'Mahoney jumped ship. Might be the only way they would keep their seats.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just when FF have a slim chance of putting a reputation of dodgyness and chicanery behind them, you want them to take Fidelma Healy Eames on board. Do you think they are crazy?
    “Les cons, ça ose tout, c’est même à ça qu’on les reconnaît.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Crossed my mind it did today. petunia
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    FF are probably still too toxic to contemplate a move. But if they ever look like seriously winning the next General election then I wouldn't be surprised if a few pointless backbenchers like Michelle Mulherin or John O'Mahoney jumped ship. Might be the only way they would keep their seats.
    Honecker

Cannot remember many switiches of serving TDs between FG and FF.

In the two cases you mention Michelle Mulherin is in Ballina - FF have already a serving TD Dara Calleary there.

FF are grooming Lisa Chambers a bright and glamorous young barrister to run in south Mayo next GE. She did very well as a late entrrant last time.

About 6000 Mayo voters are going into GW next election In the rather unlikely event of O'mahoney switching parties and running in GW, Eamonn Ó'Cuív is there.

I think TDs leaving FG are more likely to form a new party

We did have Joe Lenehan in Belmullet who stood for FG, was later elected as an independent, and after a spell in the Senate joined FF and was later elected as a FF TD. The Turnover Tax was a major issue at the time, and due to that and his various party changes he was locally known as "Turnover Joe"
    Last edited by ergo2; 28th April 2013 at 04:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ger12 View Post
    Crossed my mind it did today. petunia
    Yoda!!?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stakerwallace View Post
    Just when FF have a slim chance of putting a reputation of dodgyness and chicanery behind them, you want them to take Fidelma Healy Eames on board. Do you think they are crazy?
    FF may be desperate to expand their parliamentary party, but hardly that desperate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

was there ever a case of a FF or FG going over to other side. I dont think so.
    Just shows effect dEvileras civil war had here. Its same sort of people who support both parties now esp in rural Ireland despite claims to contrary.

In UK it has often happened- Lab to Tory and vice versa, and in US also Rep to Democrat and vica versa.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin Coir View Post
    was there ever a case of a FF or FG going over to other side. I dont think so.
    Just shows effect dEvileras civil war had here. Its same sort of people who support both parties now esp in rural Ireland despite claims to contrary.

In UK it has often happened- Lab to Tory and vice versa, and in US also Rep to Democrat and vica versa.
    Yes, Turnover Joe Lenehan, Belmullet. See my post above

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prester Jim View Post
    Yoda!!?
    On many long journeys have I gone. And waited, too, for others to return from journeys of their own. Some return; some are broken; some come back so different only their names remain Presenter Jim.
    At 12 weeks the “clump of cells” toes curl, her mouth makes sucking movements, she has a human face and if you prod the tummy she will move in response

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast