Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: DUP table petition of concern in bid to prevent marriage equality in N. Ireland

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default DUP table petition of concern in bid to prevent marriage equality in N. Ireland

The DUP appear to be pulling all the tricks out of the bag on this one, including trading a bizarre shot at the Republic's constitutional convention.

Mr Weir continued: "It has been made very clear that same sex marriage will not be introduced in NI and the DUP is tabling a Petition of Concern to ensure that this motion will not be carried.

"We are the only party to have a united position in opposition to the redefinition of marriage.

"However we also do not believe that a Constitutional Convention in the Republic of Ireland should have any input into policy which is wholly a matter for representatives in this part of the United Kingdom to decide."
    DUP petition over same sex marriage - UTV Live News

Hopefully the DUP will be thwarted on this, but given the Unionist parties' conservatism and the SDLP's vacillating, I'm not confident that it will pass. Still, well done to SF on progressing this issue and campaigning for equal civil rights for gays and lesbians in Northern Ireland.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glaucon View Post
    The DUP appear to be pulling all the tricks out of the bag on this one, including trading a bizarre shot at the Republic's constitutional convention.

Hopefully the DUP will be thwarted on this, but given the Unionist parties' conservatism and the SDLP's vacillating, I'm not confident that it will pass. Still, well done to SF on progressing this issue and campaigning for equal civil rights for gays and lesbians in Northern Ireland.
    What a shocker

Castle Ray

The thing I find strange about this is that there has been no debate on the matter and it doesn't seem to have been on anyone's manifesto so I'm wondering why such a controversial issue is going through Stormont. Sinn Fein are the main advocates of this supported mostly by Alliance. It definitely wasn't in Alliance's manifesto, so they've no mandate on the issue, was it in Sinn Fein's?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Ray View Post
    The thing I find strange about this is that there has been no debate on the matter and it doesn't seem to have been on anyone's manifesto so I'm wondering why such a controversial issue is going through Stormont. Sinn Fein are the main advocates of this supported mostly by Alliance. It definitely wasn't in Alliance's manifesto, so they've no mandate on the issue, was it in Sinn Fein's?
    I cannot say if it was specifically stated in the Assembly election manifesto, but it was certainly present in their 2011 Irish General Election manifesto:

Sinn Féin is committed to:

Legislation to permit and recognise same-sex marriage. Provide full and equal recognition of all civil partnerships in law.
    http://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2011/SF...ifesto2011.pdf

Hopefully the SDLP will show some mettle and ensure that all of Nationalism shows itself to be behind equal rights for homosexuals in this regard, even if it is scuppered by the biblical cavemen in the DUP.

Castle Ray

Calling people"Biblical cavemen" is the kind of bigotry you seem to profess to abhor. Marriage is based on a religious / biblical sacrament. If you are against biblical practice why is marriage so important to you?

Castle Ray

The SF manifesto in 2011 Northern Ireland Assembly election only included the following: "Orientation Strategy and work for the formal recognition that s.75(2) ‘good relations duty’ of the NI Act 1998 applies to all s.75(1) ‘equality duty’ groups".

It all seems quite autocratic to be pushing this highly contentious issue without a mandate. To me Alliance and SF have been rather gung ho / dishonest with the electorate. They sought votes, got them and just do whatever they want afterwards regardless of their mandate. APNI's only excuse is they have never considered "whipping" their MLAs. Indeed two absented themselves from a previous vote. I don't think a Petition of Concern involves "whips" but is it a whipping issue for SF?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It will be interesting for SF reps going door to door in rural areas with conservative Catholics and trying to get votes and handing out manifestos with such policies. The SDLP are having similar internal problems i've heard before, do they even have a central policy on same sex marriage?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glaucon View Post

It's a great move by SF and along with the abortion motion, places them (along with the Greens) as a party for this century. The SDLP are exposed as a largely parochial party and out of touch with modern attitudes. Unionism remains in situ as the red neck, eastern branch of the teabaggers. As usual, they show themselves to be as in sympatico with the British as the Taliban
    Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Calling people"Biblical cavemen" is the kind of bigotry you seem to profess to abhor. Marriage is based on a religious / biblical sacrament. If you are against biblical practice why is marriage so important to you?
    Just a few weeks ago, there was the first gay Zulu wedding. Now, Africans are hardly known for being in the vanguard on gay issues. That's how far behind unionists and altar craving Catholics are. Biblical cavemen is a very precise and accurate term for them

Ya wouldn't want to have seen t happening but if Eammon Mc Cann and Bernie Devlin conceived a child, ideologically, it would be me

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Marriage is a societal bond and is regulated by the polity (state). Marriage predates organized religion and takes various forms around the world, including but not limited to one man and one woman. What Sinn Féin favour is gays and lesbians right to avail of civil marriage; religious ceremonies are not to be impacted.

The DUP are fundamentalist religious caveman and are behind the rest of the UK on this; never mind the civilized world. They have also showed themselves again and again to be latent homophobes, evidenced in the likes of Ian Paisley Jr.'s comment that he was "disgusted" by "the activities" of the homosexual community, or his father Ian's crusade to "Save Ulster from Sodomy" back in the early 80s.

Sinn Féin are an all-Ireland party and as their 2011 Irish election manifesto was released before the Assembly elections in the North, I'm sure they'd make the argument that they fully informed their voters as to their intentions.
    Last edited by Glaucon; 28th April 2013 at 04:43 PM.

Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast