Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Do WT Cosgrave and Cummann na nGaedhael get enough credit for the founding of the state 1922-1932?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Do WT Cosgrave and Cummann na nGaedhael get enough credit for the founding of the state 1922-1932?

I ask you do WT Cosgrave and Cummann na nGaedhael get enough credit for the founding of the state 1922-1932? Remember the backdrop they faced when founding the state in 1922. An ongoing civil war, the country split down the middle, lives being lost on a high scale for a small population and poor infrastructure due to the War of Independence and the Civil War.

There were the huge positives

Winning the civil war in 1923(no doubt FFers will say the anti treaty side just stopped fighting when they actually lost)
    The setting up of ESB in 1927
    Joining the League of Nations and gaining some diplomatic independence from Britain
    Balanced budgets throughout the tenure, rare in this state's existence
    The setting up of the Irish Sugar Company and the Agricultural Credit Corporation
    The Land Act which gave farmers the chance to buy their land after a long time renting/being at the mercy of landlords.
    Even the Act brought in 1927 to force Fianna Fil into the Dail was a brave move by Cosgrave which showed he had the country and not party politics at heart.

Of course there were the negatives like the cut to the Old Age pension by Ernest Blythe and the high unemployment and emigration towards the end of the 1920s.

When Cosgrave and Cumann na nGaedhael left government in 1932 having handed power over peacefully to old rivals FF when many anticipated warfare , the seeds had been sown for a democracy and a peaceful enough state with infrastructure in place.

It's rare to hear Cosgrave's name mentioned in the echelons of great taoisigh. Maybe it's the long passing of time or the bad memories towards the end of his government that have erased the good done earlier in the government term.
    I have closed down this account, I am now The Rahenyite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

of course they dont. Devilera and FF claim credit for setting up the state here, when in fact they tried to destroy it, damaging buildings, railway lines,it was against new state the civil war was directed. Dev spoke of wading through Irish blood, and he advanced things not one bit when he finally got into power.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fine Gael do not even commemorate him. They would be the successors of WT Cosgrave. The romanticism around Michael Collins is more attractive to the party.

I believe Cosgrave should get more credit for building a firm foundation. It's what happened after became the problem with Ireland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For me after Sean Lemass, WT Cosgrave is the second best Taoiseach we had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lovely, a thread to commiserate the West Brit foundation of FG. Did this group also execute it's fellow Irishmen?

They were also happy to abandon the North.
    The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise! (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post
    Lovely, a thread to commiserate the West Brit foundation of FG. Did this group also execute it's fellow Irishmen?

Of course they could have fought on for the North: the road to perdition however.
    Les cons, a ose tout, cest mme a quon les reconnat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ulster-Lad View Post

FF also executed IRA men, more so than Cumann na nGaedael, in their first 10 years in government.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Its a pretty silly thread to start on here, just giving an opportunity to the resident pub patriots to show their ignorance of history.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Its a pretty silly thread to start on here, just giving an opportunity to the resident pub patriots to show their ignorance of history.
    It's not silly. WT Cosgrave and the work of the 1922-1932 C na nG government has been forgotten. This thread asks why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RahenyFG View Post
    FF also executed IRA men, more so than Cumann na nGaedael, in their first 10 years in government.
    His reputation suffered after he ordered the execution without trial of republican prisoners during the civil war. In all 77 republicans were executed by the Free State between November 1922 and the end of the war in May 1923, including Robert Erskine Childers, Liam Mellowes and Rory O'Connor, far more than the 14 IRA Volunteers the British executed in the War of Independence.
    W. T. Cosgrave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise! (James Larkin)

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast