Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Government has “big choices” to make on the future of RTÉ, director-general Noel Curran has said.....

Dylan2010

Default The Government has “big choices” to make on the future of RTÉ, director-general Noel Curran has said.....

RTE another steller performer with a €60m loss in 2012 , apparently they let under 300 go in 2012 which explains the loss which would mean the average payout was near the €200K???? nice!

Whats the point of RTE anymore? the average person is drowning in media and a 160€ per house per year would go along way to pay for water charges or whatever you consider a more imortant use of scarce resources. The best thing RTE could do is collapse their service down to TG4 and a self funding sports station if you must. Get rid of the tv "licence" tax and get some token amount of state money for "original " programming again "if you must".

RTÉ looks to public funding as commercial income falls - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Fri, Apr 26, 2013

The Government has “big choices” to make on the future of RTÉ, director-general Noel Curran has said, as he signalled the broadcaster’s desire to collect a greater proportion of its funding from public sources.

RTÉ’s deficit for 2012 will exceed €60 million, mostly due to the cost of restructuring the organisation, Mr Curran told The Irish Times.

Commercial income is understood to have fallen €14 million or about 8 per cent last year, with the advertising market remaining subdued in 2013. This has put pressure on RTÉ’s financial recovery as it seeks to break even this year.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sell Pravda.
    Scrap the stupid compulsory tax on working people.
    Let the Montrose Millionaires put their "because I'm worth it" theories to the test.
    Give the people their money back.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

160 Euro.

Half the population is living in households with less than 100 Euro to spare at the end of each month.

160 Euro would enable a lot of people to eat better, and in some cases, to eat.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Dylan2010

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    160 Euro.

Half the population is living in households with less than 100 Euro to spare at the end of each month.

160 Euro would enable a lot of people to eat better, and in some cases, to eat.
    ive heard of parents having to pull their kids out of local soccer clubs because they cant come up with a mere €100 annual sub...this sh1t matters!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RTÉ needs a dose of the same austerity that the rest of Ireland is suffering from.

They get very well funded by all those quite expensive licence fees and get commercial fees on top.

It's up to them to show that they can run the service on the money they get - they should be more than able to do so.

The salaries paid to some of their employees is ludicrous. If they don't like it and they could get paid more abroad, fine, let them go. Train up a new generation of people who will be very glad of a job in TV.
    Brexit? Never heard of it mate...

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    ive heard of parents having to pull their kids out of local soccer clubs because they cant come up with a mere €100 annual sub...this sh1t matters!
    Off topic, but they're not proper football clubs. No proper schoolboy football club would exclude a child for genuinely not being able to afford subs.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

First cutback:

Drop the ing and with from Hanging with Hector
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why can't RTE run a service on it's advertising income?

How much does the licencse fee cost to collect?

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RTE holds a special place in our politicians' hearts because for many of them the trapping of success is to be "yer man on the telly". RTE provides a platform, at license payers' expense, for politicians to show how they're supporting "noble causes", at tax payers expense.

It's all a farce really, but means that the government won't touch RTE's decision makers who give them this platform - far better that Johnny can't go to soccer camp than to interfere with the "way things work".
    The more things change....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If they get more from the government in the line of public funding, I will completely lose the plot.

A complete insult of a public broadcasting organisation.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast