Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucinda takes on Olivia O'Leary over abortion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Lucinda takes on Olivia O'Leary over abortion

Thankfully I didn't hear it, but apparently 80s-era battleaxe Olivia O'Leary had one of her self-important 'columns' on Radio 1 recently, where she said people should 'kick the Takiban out of the constitution' and claimed that Ireland was 'no country for young women'.

Here's what she said (hat tip to irishpancake who uploaded it to youtube);

This provoked an unusually strong response today from Taliban-loving, young woman-hating Minister for Europe, Lucinda Creighton:

To compare Ireland or our Constitution to the Taliban is grossly misleading. Olivia O’Leary should, and I’m fairly sure does, know better. Could she really believe that the Shia women of Mazar-e-Sharif, whose husbands were executed and had their throats slit before their eyes and those of their children, would agree that Ireland is a terrible, oppressive place to live? Many of those same women saw their children stuffed into containers and sent to unknown destinations, left to suffocate in a slow and painful death. Would those women, I wonder, condemn the Irish legal system which strives to protect the lives of all children?

[...]

I have been accused repeatedly of being some sort of a fanatic or fundamentalist. Anyone who knows me – my friends, my family, my colleagues – knows that is simply nonsense. For the record, I do not come to this debate with any religious or idealogical ‘hang-up’. Like 85% of the population I have been brought up as, and describe myself as a Catholic. I am not a particularly devout one and I am not diligent in attending religious ceremonies. So I suppose I am like most Irish Catholics in that respect.
    My support for human life is not based on any blinkered ideology. When I was a student, I would have regarded myself as liberal on the issue, being in favour of abortion. I suppose I simply bought into the accepted notion that a foetus is simply an extension of a woman and not a person.
    However, I have come to believe that I was wrong. And I don’t change my view lightly. My opinion is, I suppose, shaped by a number of factors, personal experience with family members and friends, a more objective analysis of the arguments on both sides and of course the facts, which are all important. The clear view of those practicing psychiatrists is most convincing. I cannot ignore either, the very compelling experience of having dealt with so many parents going through adoption procedures, who have been through IVF and are doing everything they can to support human life. Life is precious. We cannot change that.
    Id be somewhat more liberal on abortion than Creighton. But I applaud her standing up to O'Leary's foolish and needlessly divisive contribution on the topic. There have been a few instances in the media recently of 'liberals' attempting to belittle and bully those they disagree with, rather than out-reason them. We should tolerate all viewpoints as long as they are respectful of others, and not seek to dismiss or diminish those with whom we disagree.

25 April 2013 : Lucinda CREIGHTON TD
    Last edited by borntorum; 26th April 2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: insert video clip

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I fear for Lucinda sometimes, I fear that the flux capacitor in her brain has her mind stuck back in the 50s!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harshreality View Post
    I fear for Lucinda sometimes, I fear that the flux capacitor in her brain has her mind stuck back in the 50s!
    That has yet to be proven.....
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harshreality View Post
    You're epitomising what Borntorun has just written about.
    After all, tomorrow is another day.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If Lucinda can allow Irish Babies to be aborted after transportation to the UK can she not allow abortion in Ireland where there is risk to health of the mother?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I heard it on Tuesday evening just after 5.30 pm.

Olivia O'Leary's radio "column" was hysterical nonsense and Lucinda is right to take her to task for it.
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket View Post

Olivia O'Leary's radio "column" was hysterical nonsense and Lucinda is right to take her to task for it.
    Is there a transcript?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IbrahaimMohamad View Post
    Is there a transcript?
    You might find a podcast of it on the RTÉ website.
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    Thankfully I didn't hear it, but apparently 80s-era battleaxe Olivia O'Leary had one of her self-important 'columns' on Radio 1 recently, where she said people should 'kick the Takiban out of the constitution' and claimed that Ireland was 'no country for young women'. This provoked an unusually strong response today from Taliban-loving, young woman-hating Minister for Europe, Lucinda Creighton:

Id be somewhat more liberal on abortion than Creighton. But I applaud her standing up to O'Leary's foolish and needlessly divisive contribution on the topic. There have been a few instances in the media recently of 'liberals' attempting to belittle and bully those they disagree with, rather than out-reason them. We should tolerate all viewpoints as long as they are respectful of others, and not seek to dismiss or diminish those with whom we disagree.

25 April 2013 : Lucinda CREIGHTON TD
    I am a social liberal and I totally concur with your view on this.
    All points are open to debate and just because someone labels something progress doesn't mean it is, people like O'Leary think they have all the answers and are often just as kneejerk as the worst of the conservatives.
    Her whole tone in the diary on R1 shouts: "This is my position and the position of every other right thinking person, think differently and you are wrong, backward and holding us back."
    I cannot believe I am partially backing Creighton on this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket View Post

I don't understand why she has that 'column' in the first place. RTE are usually obsessed with providing opposing viewpoints on every topic. What makes OOL so special that she's given a platform to spout off unchallenged on whatever she wants?

Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast