Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: An Post 2012 operating loss of 17.5 million.(40m loss if pensions included) They want to increase prices.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default An Post 2012 operating loss of 17.5 million.(40m loss if pensions included) They want to increase prices.

An Post reports loss of

Not sure what an post can do, they've reduced staff by 1,284 since the beginning of 2009 and will cut by 2,600 by the end of 2016.

I presume with less staff the service will get worse and if they increase prices less people will use their services.

One thing they can do is have better opening hours - esp on a Saturday and stop closing for lunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I got a large spare part for a machine delivered by courier from Sligo to Kilkenny overnight for a tenner last week. Can An Post compete with this? I doubt it and the guy who runs that company is'nt on 500k per annum either i'm guessing.
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Member Tin Foil Hat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    I got a large spare part for a machine delivered by courier from Sligo to Kilkenny overnight for a tenner last week. Can An Post compete with this? I doubt it and the guy who runs that company is'nt on 500k per annum either i'm guessing.
    An post charge us €5 plus VAT for a parcel up to 30kg.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Start offering mortgages (BOI do this for UK Post). Open proper hours on Saturday and Sunday.

But that's ultimately just eating around the edges. Similar to the bus service, we've got to accept that if we want to be able to send letters from BallyGoBackwards to Borrisonossary, while you can minimise costs as best you can, it's not going to be as profitable as running it like an independent ongoing business.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do they expect? No culture of customer service, and the first chance that people had to use other providers they took it.

In my case An Post have done the following:
    - Won't deliver Amazon parcels at all - instead drop in "you were out" notices even when we were there.
    - Parcels can only be collected during working hours Monday to Friday - so I have to take time off work to collect them.
    - The local collection centre was closed, and to collect a parcel now you have to travel miles to the middle of nowhere.

So no, with this attitude of customer service I don't see how they can survive. They can increase prices as much as they want, as long as the taxpayer doesn't have to subsidise them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Firstly, the loss of 40m isn't the shocking figure, it's the fact that the loss was made despite revenues of 800m,

IT COSTS 840m TO RUN AN POST??????

Secondly, what sort of idiots, when losing money, decide to increase prices, instead of cutting costs,

Sell it, for whatever we can get,

Which won't be much,

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drummed View Post
    If you live out in the country couriers are a waste of time, they ring you up, lost and try and get you to travel to a nearby town/landmark to meet them. Whereas the local postie knows where everyone lives and, as others point out, is cheaper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just noticed last week the price of a stamp went up 5c to 60c, where else would you get a increase like that ? Our own post man is great , and if no one is home in our estate he leaves the parcel with me to deliver when I see a car ! Saves the neighbours plenty of time.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
    Firstly, the loss of €40m isn't the shocking figure, it's the fact that the loss was made despite revenues of €800m,

IT COSTS €840m TO RUN AN POST??????

Secondly, what sort of idiots, when losing money, decide to increase prices, instead of cutting costs,

Sell it, for whatever we can get,

Which won't be much,

"Sell it,for whatever WE can get". Whats the WE about?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Start offering mortgages (BOI do this for UK Post). Open proper hours on Saturday and Sunday.

But that's ultimately just eating around the edges. Similar to the bus service, we've got to accept that if we want to be able to send letters from BallyGoBackwards to Borrisonossary, while you can minimise costs as best you can, it's not going to be as profitable as running it like an independent ongoing business.
    My local post office opens 10-1 on Saturdays.

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast