Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Podcast - The Irish Revolutionary period as a backdrop for historical fiction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Podcast - The Irish Revolutionary period as a backdrop for historical fiction.

Episode 15 of the Irish History Show on Near FM. On this episode of the Irish History Show we talk to Irish – American novelist Kevin McCarthy about his novel Peeler and using the Irish Revolution as a back drop to his novels.

http://nearfm.ie/podcast/the-history-show15/

https://www.facebook.com/TheIrishHistoryShow
    Last edited by cb1979; 26th April 2013 at 12:38 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I hope this won't be bad for my blood pressure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    I hope this won't be bad for my blood pressure
    I think your blood pressure should be ok

He's an interesting guest. He's written a novel about an RIC detective investigating a murder during the Anglo - Irish War and has planned more books with the same characters. Kevin McCarthy Author Blog--A Criminal History?: Peeler Review: The Irish Story (www.theirishstory.com/)

While there have been various novels written with this period as a backdrop, I don't know if any fiction has been written with a Unionist as the main protagonist. Might be an interesting avenue for a writer.

Politics.ie Member Little_Korean's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cb1979 View Post
    While there have been various novels written with this period as a backdrop, I don't know if any fiction has been written with a Unionist as the main protagonist. Might be an interesting avenue for a writer.
    Definitely would be different. Most historical fiction set in the WoI is from the Volunteer/IRA point of view, for obvious reasons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any recommendations for fiction set against the backdrop of the revolutionary period?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cb1979 View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for fiction set against the backdrop of the revolutionary period?
    Walter Macken - The Scorching Wind.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I haven't read a whole lot of historical fiction based during this period so far (my main periods of reading historical fiction tend to be based in medieval/crusader period or ancient rome/greece), but 2 books I read in the late 90's come to mind, Fire on the Hill (based around the Wicklow rebel Michael Dwyer), and Tread Softly on my Dreams (based around the life of Robert Emmet) both by Gretta Curran Browne.

There may be a touch of the green-tinted lenses on the part of the author, so I wouldn't recommend that loyalist troll Cruimh to bother picking either up....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Levellers View Post
    Walter Macken - The Scorching Wind.
    Well written but a little partisan.

Best book IMO would be Thy Tears Might Cease. Michael Farrell's book would be in my top 10 books along side books like the Grapes of Wrath and Cry the Beloved Country.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For 1798 you could try The Year of the French by Thomas Flanagan.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by P Ryan View Post

There may be a touch of the green-tinted lenses on the part of the author, so I wouldn't recommend that loyalist troll Cruimh to bother picking either up....
    I wouldn't recommend anybody interested in the period in question - early twentieth century - picking up these books as Dwyer and Emmet were long dead .......petunia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast