Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does High Pay Motivate Us?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Does High Pay Motivate Us?

Discussion on VinB now about Richie Boucher and how the responsibilities he is tasked with warrant such a high "remuneration" package. So, from an empirical, evidenced based perspective, does high pay such as that "earned" by bankers really deliver the best outcomes in terms of job performance?

This video from the RSA animated series may inform the debate:

The love of equality in a democracy, limits ambition to the sole desire, to the sole happiness, of doing greater services to our country than the rest of our fellow citizens - Montesquieu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pay has always been my driving force. The bonus was that I always enjoyed the actual work. Pay anyway is best measurement of success
    People demonise Fianna Fail and they are entitled to do so but same people are not capable of answering a few awkward questions themselves.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's definitely about the money.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

High pay certainly motivates, but if high pay is the prime motivator in your job, then, in my experience, you will not perform at anything like your best. Company culture, a sense of being part of something great, and a spirit of friendly competitiveness, when allied to a fair salary, make for great staff performances and amazing companies. This is proven in almost every hugely successful company (Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple, etc.) in the world, and is something I can attest to myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oggy View Post
    Pay anyway is best measurement of success
    Then how do you explain Bertie, Cowen et al's salaries and pensions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolfe View Post
    Then how do you explain Bertie, Cowen et al's salaries and pensions?
    To have to listen to people like you I would be wanting a high multiple of what they earned and their pensions. Not even being sarcastic in saying that
    People demonise Fianna Fail and they are entitled to do so but same people are not capable of answering a few awkward questions themselves.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Pay has always been my driving force. The bonus was that I always enjoyed the actual work. Pay anyway is best measurement of success

Bonuses are nice, I'll grant you that. However they should only be given for exceptional performance. If an institution is loss making and the chief exec is given a bonus, the corollary would be that the bonus only serves to reward failure, and thus no doubt encourage it.

As for pay being the "measurement of success", I highly doubt that and would like to think that you wrote that with your tongue in your cheek.

Is this man any less successful because he turned down a million dollars?

Dr Grigori Perelman, a reclusive Russian genius, is refusing to accept the prestigious $1 million "Millennium" mathematics prize awarded by the Clay Mathematics Institute in Cambridge, MA.

Perelman was awarded the prize for solving the one-hundred-year-old Poincaré conjecture, one of the most complicated mathematical problems in the world - so complex, in fact, that after Perelman posted his proofs in 2002 it took several years for other experts to confirm he was correct.
    The love of equality in a democracy, limits ambition to the sole desire, to the sole happiness, of doing greater services to our country than the rest of our fellow citizens - Montesquieu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To have to listen to people like you I would be wanting a high multiple of what they earned and their pensions. Not even being sarcastic in saying that
    We should have been paid to listen to them ... and look at them. The bleedin heads on them!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've turned offers of way better money because I love what I work at, doing this in Ireland is met with sneers and derision....hence I am only here now to gather up bits and pieces to bring to my new home and country. This is the most materialistic and shallow culture that bows it head and kisses ass for money.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It depends on the individual, and it depends on what it motivates them to do.

High pay might motivate a Montrose Millionaire to be a lazy, useless, dishonest, condescending bore.

In fact....it usually does !!!
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast