Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Sports coach sexually abused up to 30 boys in Waterford

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Skyrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Sports coach sexually abused up to 30 boys in Waterford

    This was the lead story on the 9 o'clock RTÉ News tonight.

    A retired sports coach has admitted that he sexually abused up to 30 boys - possibly more - until a complaint was made against him in 1987. He was told to get counselling and retire on foot of the complaint but no other action appears to have been taken against him up to now. He claims not to have abused since then.

    Gardaí are now investigating the allegations which have surfaced again this week although the man claimed they had questioned him over Christmas. Complainants believe other boys were abused and have urged them to contact Gardai.

    The Independent and Times have also taken up the story:

    Sports coach admits abuse of underage teen boys - Independent.ie

    Gardai investigate abuse complaints against sports coach in Waterford - Crime & Law News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Tue, Apr 23, 2013
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member borntorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Did they say which sport? We know there was a major problem with swimming. Were other sports compromised as well?

  3. #3
    Moderator NYCKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Kingdom
    Posts
    13,085
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

    Default

    Dear God, is there no end to this?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    Did they say which sport? We know there was a major problem with swimming. Were other sports compromised as well?
    Soccer or GAA?

    The man said he was now more of an honorary member at the club and had not attended an underage matches since the allegations against him first emerged.
    Redacted.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Skyrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    Did they say which sport? We know there was a major problem with swimming. Were other sports compromised as well?
    They didn't refer to a specific sport.
    Defend the 8th Amendment against attack by those seeking to introduce taxpayer-funded abortion on demand in Ireland. http://prolifecampaign.ie/

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCKY View Post
    Dear God, is there no end to this?
    This thread won't fly unless there is a connection to the clergy.

  7. #7
    Duplicate Account
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    19,531
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyrocket View Post
    This was the lead story on the 9 o'clock RTÉ News tonight.

    A retired sports coach has admitted that he sexually abused up to 30 boys - possibly more - until a complaint was made against him in 1987. He was told to get counselling and retire on foot of the complaint but no other action appears to have been taken against him up to now. He claims not to have abused since then.

    Gardaí are now investigating the allegations which have surfaced again this week although the man claimed they had questioned him over Christmas. Complainants believe other boys were abused and have urged them to contact Gardai.

    The Independent and Times have also taken up the story:

    Sports coach admits abuse of underage teen boys - Independent.ie

    Gardai investigate abuse complaints against sports coach in Waterford - Crime & Law News from Ireland & Abroad | The Irish Times - Tue, Apr 23, 2013


    The alleged abuser isn't named, not are the 2 victims, nor is the sport.

    So what is the use in the 2 victims asking for others to come forward? Is this some sort of a fishing exercise?

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Analyzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Posts
    46,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The defamation laws in this country are so stupid, that we are not even finding out which code of polystyrene sphere chasing is involved.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    13,655
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimples 77 View Post
    The alleged abuser isn't named, not are the 2 victims, nor is the sport.

    So what is the use in the 2 victims asking for others to come forward? Is this some sort of a fishing exercise?
    ?
    It is in the interests of other victims to come forward. They could have been bottling much up for years with terrible consequences.
    I thought the " what's done is done " quote by the abuser quite disturbing, shows some flippancy about the damage he has done to innocent victims.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    The defamation laws in this country are so stupid, that we are not even finding out which code of polystyrene sphere chasing is involved.
    He hasn't been charged with anything yet so it's perfectly reasonable to keep his identity guarded.
    Redacted.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •