Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: County Council, Waste Charges, Request for Advice

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default County Council, Waste Charges, Request for Advice

I recieved an unexpected invoice from a Dublin Council for substantial waste/bin charges, despite using a private supplier for quite a while. When the detail I requested came today it has charges going back to 2006 - latest is in 2008.

I am normally meticulous about paying bills - so I need bank trawl now to see if I paid at the time. If this is not the case can a Co Co invoice after 5 years of silence and expect to collect? Is there no statute of limitations on billing for services?

Thanks

Wigmore

Politics.ie Member tipp revolution's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is this a bit like the greeks looking for money off the Germans for war reparations?
    "Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king"
    Diogenes

Politics.ie Member tipp revolution's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Smile

There ya go from the revenue guidelines - are bin charges vatable?
    13. Time limit for issuing VAT Invoices and Credit Notes

13.1 In general, where a VAT invoice has to be issued, it must be issued within 15 days of the end of the month in which the goods or services are supplied. In the case of a supplementary invoice, the invoice must be issued within 15 days following either the day on which the increased in consideration is paid or the day on which the increase in consideration is agreed between the parties concerned, whichever is the earlier.

13.2 Situations may arise where payment in full, or by instalments, for goods or services supplied to a VAT-registered person is made before the completion of the supply. In such cases the person receiving payment must issue an invoice within 15 days following the end of the month following that during which each payment was received. This rule does not apply in the case of intra-Community supplies of goods.

13.3 In the case of credit notes, where a decrease is due to a discount, the note must be issued within 15 days following the date of receipt of the money to which the discount relates. In any other case, the credit note must be issued within 15 days on which the decrease in consideration is agreed between the parties concerned.

13.4 Failure to issue an invoice or credit note in time leaves the person concerned liable to penalties.

A friend of mine is a great believer in typing in the question in plain english into the search box - so what is the time limit on issuing invoices in Ireland yielded the above.
    "Learn to live on lentils and you will not have to be subservient to the king"
    Diogenes

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Request the evidence that the money is outstanding, ask for the itemised accounts for the last 5 years, ask for evidence of provision of service, ask for evidence that they tried contacting you before now.

If they can't provide any of the first 3 just tell them to get lost.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Move house. Leave no forwarding address.
    Сохранить Украины

Put it in the bin.
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks all. I think Sync has given me ideas.

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wigmore View Post
    I recieved an unexpected invoice from a Dublin Council for substantial waste/bin charges, despite using a private supplier for quite a while. When the detail I requested came today it has charges going back to 2006 - latest is in 2008.

I am normally meticulous about paying bills - so I need bank trawl now to see if I paid at the time. If this is not the case can a Co Co invoice after 5 years of silence and expect to collect? Is there no statute of limitations on billing for services?

Thanks

Wigmore
    Sync's advice on this is spot on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And I thought Kerry County Council were the most moronic in Ireland. Surely they can tell that they have not emptied your bins in years. I would get a letter from the waste collection service you ACTUALLY use confirming that they have collected your bins for years,then send a copy to the council and ask them whose bins they have collected seeing as it has not been yours. Otherwise phone the almighty Joe Duffy.