Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another US libertarian loses the plot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Another US libertarian loses the plot

RAND PAUL: Hereís the distinction, Neil. Iíve never argued against any technology being used when you have an imminent threat, an active crime going on. If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash, I donít care if a drone kills him or a policeman kills him. But itís different if they want to fly over your hot tub or your yard just because they want to do surveillance on everyone and they want to watch your activities.

Sen. Rand Paul: I'm Not Against Using Drones To Find Criminals | RealClearPolitics

---

Ah yes, I remember the part of the Constitution where suspects can be killed by drones.

Freedom. Liberty. Death from above.
    Rand Paul 2016
    You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw39tcyg7So&sns=em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lies View Post
    RAND PAUL: Here’s the distinction, Neil. I’ve never argued against any technology being used when you have an imminent threat, an active crime going on. If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash, I don’t care if a drone kills him or a policeman kills him. But it’s different if they want to fly over your hot tub or your yard just because they want to do surveillance on everyone and they want to watch your activities.

Sen. Rand Paul: I'm Not Against Using Drones To Find Criminals | RealClearPolitics

---

Ah yes, I remember the part of the Constitution where suspects can be killed by drones.

Rand Paul 2016
    Its a different culture in America. They think its fine for police to kill suspects. Abbeylara happens 1000 times a day there, and they are fine with that.

Remember when the Gardai asked the FBI to review the Abbeylara case? "The five-member FBI investigation concluded that the main problem with the Garda's operations on the day was that they did not shoot John Carthy soon enough."

Different culture.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see the issue. There is no part of the constitution that says that suspects can be killed at all. But just in case you have not being paying attention, and you clearly have not, it is Rand Paul who has been doing most of the leg work on bringing some accountability to the use of drones, and it is the administration that has been doing its level best to avoid answering any direct questions on the issue.
    Faoi mhůid bheith saor

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Faoi mhůid bheith saor

Politics.ie Member Ernesto Guevara's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Rand is as much a Libertarian as Enda is...

If i was Ron i would be having that runt DNA'd...

Dylan2010

RAND PAUL: Here’s the distinction, Neil. I’ve never argued against any technology being used when you have an imminent threat, an active crime going on. If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and 50 dollars in cash, I don’t care if a drone kills him or a policeman kills him. But it’s different if they want to fly over your hot tub or your yard just because they want to do surveillance on everyone and they want to watch your activities.

---

Rand Paul 2016
    it seems reasoanble enough and better than US policy at the moment. What am I missing?

Politics.ie Member Raketemensch's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

---

Rand Paul 2016
    As would be expected, he has missed every point. Who decides who is a criminal? Do we include judge+jury software in the drone's operating system? Couldn't someone be plotting a massive terrorist outrage sitting in his hot-tub?

A lightweight spoofer, the US has even worse politicians that we have, and that's saying something!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seabhcan View Post
    Its a different culture in America. They think its fine for police to kill suspects. Abbeylara happens 1000 times a day there, and they are fine with that.

Remember when the Gardai asked the FBI to review the Abbeylara case? "The five-member FBI investigation concluded that the main problem with the Garda's operations on the day was that they did not shoot John Carthy soon enough."

Different culture.
    You can't excuse away female genital mutilation, slavery, cannibalism or ritual murder by the words "different culture". Or just murder.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

---

Rand Paul 2016
    So you jump from him saying it is ok to shoot someone who poses an immediate threat to the people around them to implying he means it is ok to go around killing suspects. You are simply shlt stirring.
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Surveillance drones (without the lethal weapons) could work wonders for law enforcement in this country in terms of locating robbers and violent criminals. Especially if they have thermal detection equipment.
    Save the 27th

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast