Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 132

Thread: Why does RTE give airtime to religious fundamentalists?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Volatire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Why does RTE give airtime to religious fundamentalists?

    When the subject of educational opportunities for young women comes up, RTE does not automatically invite the Taliban to Donnybrook in the interests of "balance". Nor is Mullah Omar invited to express his views on the latest trends in beachwear.

    Yet religious extremists from Opus Dei or the Iona Institute have somehow intimidated state media into giving them airtime on any subject which incites their fundamentalist bile.

    In my opinion, extremists should not have an automatic right to airtime on publicly funded media. We do not give publicly funded airtime to racists or to human traffickers to promote their views. So why should fundamentalists have an automatic entitlement to impose their vile anti-science and anti-human views on us whenever they wish, at our own expense?

    It is time that civil society marginalised religious fundamentalism, and treated it as the freak-show that it is.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member borntorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,781
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Is your name deliberately misspelt or is it a mistake?

    Anyway, your almost-namesake had something fairly well known to say on this sort of thing

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southfork
    Posts
    49,553
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Freedom of speech. I am an agnostic but in a democracy you have the right to express different opinions from the maintream.

    There are problems with fundamentalism. But provided the fundamentalist is not hatemongering I don't see the problem in permitting them to speak. America is a hotbed of Christian fundamentalism but that's not the case here. And in any case Christian fundamentalists don't engage in suicide bombings or blowing up marathon goers. Islamic fundamentalists on the other hand....
    Fair and Balanced

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member Volatire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borntorum View Post
    Is your name deliberately misspelt or is it a mistake?

    Anyway, your almost-namesake had something fairly well known to say on this sort of thing
    I'm the Volatile version.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Bea C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Tralee
    Posts
    24,141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Isn't this whole argument about rights to start off with?
    After all, tomorrow is another day.

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    31,215
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    FFS, they pay Kenny, Dunphy, Finucane, .....

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Bannatyne123's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volatire View Post
    When the subject of educational opportunities for young women comes up, RTE does not automatically invite the Taliban to Donnybrook in the interests of "balance". Nor is Mullah Omar invited to express his views on the latest trends in beachwear.

    Yet religious extremists from Opus Dei or the Iona Institute have somehow intimidated state media into giving them airtime on any subject which incites their fundamentalist bile.

    In my opinion, extremists should not have an automatic right to airtime on publicly funded media. We do not give publicly funded airtime to racists or to human traffickers to promote their views. So why should fundamentalists have an automatic entitlement to impose their vile anti-science and anti-human views on us whenever they wish, at our own expense?

    It is time that civil society marginalised religious fundamentalism, and treated it as the freak-show that it is.
    Opus Dei and the Iona Institute are simply Catholic. They are not fundamentalist. They are trying to communicate what God your heavenly Father wants for us as a society.

    Perhaps is not politically expedient for Irish Muslims to broadcast what sharia law has to say regarding same-sex marriage.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Volatire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bea C View Post
    Isn't this whole argument about rights to start off with?
    When there is a discussion about emigration, RTE does not automatically invite neo-nazis to contribute their views.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Ren84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Free Europe
    Posts
    49,865
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Volatire View Post
    When the subject of educational opportunities for young women comes up, RTE does not automatically invite the Taliban to Donnybrook in the interests of "balance". Nor is Mullah Omar invited to express his views on the latest trends in beachwear.

    Yet religious extremists from Opus Dei or the Iona Institute have somehow intimidated state media into giving them airtime on any subject which incites their fundamentalist bile.

    In my opinion, extremists should not have an automatic right to airtime on publicly funded media. We do not give publicly funded airtime to racists or to human traffickers to promote their views. So why should fundamentalists have an automatic entitlement to impose their vile anti-science and anti-human views on us whenever they wish, at our own expense?

    It is time that civil society marginalised religious fundamentalism, and treated it as the freak-show that it is.
    In fairness these religious loons also pop up on Vinny over on TV3 regularly.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Mountaintop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Caught between the moon and New York City
    Posts
    1,256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    If only there was some way we could change the station...

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •