Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Celtic Liver: alcoholic liver disease increases 247 per cent among 15-34 year-olds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Celtic Liver: alcoholic liver disease increases 247 per cent among 15-34 year-olds

Discharge rates for alcoholic liver disease increased by 247 per cent for 15-34 year-olds between 1995 and 2007.

The Junior Minister who tried to do something about this was frozen out by her boss the Minister for Health, according to herself.

Walls of naggins are all around us as we shop. Alcohol for sale at petrol stations, corner shops, supermarkets, ice-cream vans. OK that last one maybe not, yet.

Drink up boys and girls. The Government of Ireland expects every one of you to do your (excise) duty. They need the money more than you need a liver.

Members of the Royal College of Physicians alcohol policy group said they are particularly alarmed at a dramatic rise in chronic drink-related conditions among younger people.

Discharge rates for alcoholic liver disease increased by 247 per cent for 15-34 year-olds, and by 224 per cent for 35-49 year-olds, between 1995 and 2007, they point out.

As a response the group wants the Government to introduce measures proposed by an advisory committee over a year ago. The implementation of these proposals has been delayed by disagreements between ministers over the recommendation to restrict the sponsorship of sports and cultural events by alcohol companies.

In its policy statement, the RCPI group says alcohol sponsorship in sport should no longer be the norm. “Alcohol is a drug, and can no longer be perceived as a normal component of sporting activity. Alcohol sponsorship of sports events and organisations should be phased out.”
    Study finds ‘shocking’ level of alcohol-related harm

Edit: Full report

The country's sporting governing bodies also appreciate your sacrifice. Without you where would they get their salaries?
    Last edited by He3; 23rd April 2013 at 10:46 PM.
    "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish people do not seem to realise alcohol is a drug.

Head shops opened up and everyone went crazy to close them.
    Pubs are the biggest head shops in this country.
    Publicans the biggest drug dealers.
    Not their fault by the way.
    Why is the Legal Profession still SELF REGULATED in the year 2015, this is a crazy situation.

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Shocking statistics. I would be very curious to see a similar study relating to a post crash Ireland ie 2007 to the present.

Politics.ie Member LamportsEdge's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Would it have anything to do with the fact that stats on cirrhosis and hepatitis B have been conflated?

No one used to have 'cirrhosis' on a death cert at one time as it was regarded as impolite of a doctor to put that on a cert.

Need to be careful in this area of medical stats as there has been a noticeable amount of buggering about with statistics and some of it seems to be benefitting the moral panic brigade.
    Whenever understanding exists, accepting or rejecting is unnecessary. (Fundamentals of a Gnostic Education).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't buy for one minute the idea that raising taxes or limiting the sales of alcohol will help with the issue.

I've lived in Germany where alcohol is more available, they sell it 24 hours in petrol stations for example, drink is a lot cheaper than here, they have a much lower rate albeit a high rate, of alcoholic liver disease.

It's a red herring to tax it and expect the health issues to go away, it's the lazy way to say they're doing something. The reality is that the heavy drinkers will still do themselves damage and the average sensible drinker will be penalised for the folly of a few.

Shortall was quite rightly stopped from doing anything about it.

The other fact is that you need to look at whose primarilly behind the move to tax off-sales heavier and who want minimum alcohol prices....it's the Vintners ffs, like they are concerned about the health effects of alcohol......
    “atheism is a belief system in the same way that not playing football is a sport.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by harshreality View Post
    Shocking statistics. I would be very curious to see a similar study relating to a post crash Ireland ie 2007 to the present.
    Publicans are feeling the crash heavy..hence the focus on off-sales and their restriction.
    “atheism is a belief system in the same way that not playing football is a sport.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bread and circuses has nothing to do with health. A few highly charged athletes, and hundreds of thousands of obese boozed up unhealthy fat slobs cheering them on.

Now we know what the red nosed taoiseach meant when he told us he was "committed to sport".

The phucker never gave a toss about the mega mortgages from the banks, and the frenzy being whipped up by the Dublin media about property, and sport.

Awake from thy slumber, sleepy Ireland.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

What % of young people have liver disease due to alcohol abuse.A 240% increase on say 10 cases is 24 cases.Why should we all suffer for the idiotic few, who are most likely multiple drug abusers anyhow.You can buy 24 beers in France for €5.

Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EoinMag View Post
    Publicans are feeling the crash heavy..hence the focus on off-sales and their restriction.
    Was never a fan of that drinking at home culture myself.

I suppose in my day there was no such culture and if you wanted a drink you went to the pub. For me the pub is a place of conversation, story telling and general craic with the pint going hand in hand with all that. I would never buy a load of cans and drink myself into a corner at home.

I suppose I just don't get the modern versions of fun

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast