Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Millionaire convicted of selling fake bomb detectors. The worst man in the world?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Millionaire convicted of selling fake bomb detectors. The worst man in the world?

Breathtaking.
    UK businessman found guilty of selling fake bomb detectors to Iraq | UK news | guardian.co.uk

A Somerset businessman has been found guilty of a multimillion pound fraud involving the sale of fake bomb detectors to Iraq and around the world.

A jury at the Old Bailey found Jim McCormick, 57, from near Taunton, guilty on three counts of fraud over a scam that included the sale of 55m of devices based on a novelty golfball finder to Iraq. They were installed at checkpoints in Baghdad through which car bombs and suicide bombers passed killing hundreds of civilians.

It is now alleged by an Iraqi whistleblower that McCormick paid millions of pounds in bribes to senior Iraqis to secure the deals. Inspector general Aqil al-Turehi of the Iraqi interior ministry has told a BBC Newsnight investigation: "This gang of Jim McCormick and the Iraqis working with him killed my people in cold blood."
    How could someone think this was the thing to do? Honestly, one would hope that after he serves his inevitable prison term for this (maximum is 10 years I think) that Iraq seek to extradite him charges involving the deaths of anyone killed by bombers who bypassed his "detectors".
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jaysus, that is unreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm surprised he was even convicted. Iraq was, and still is, a lawless place. How many financial crimes were committed by the occupation authorities over the years I wonder?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Maybe you'd prefer if he'd sold them to SF/IRA...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Send him to Iraq on completion of his sentence where he can spend a year making safe IED's.

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reprehensible as it is, one wonders at the judgment of the security force procurers who bought it on claim alone.

He's not the worst man in the world, however. Ronan Keating is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He'll miss out on the lucrative market among marathon runners now. Is this a gap i see in the market?
    Сохранить Украины

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is the same goon that sold fake bomb detection equipment to airports like Malta:
    Jury still out in 'fake bomb detectors' trial - timesofmalta.com

They should abandon that pr1ck in the middle of a mine field and hand him one of his own devices, then tell him he can go free if he can pick his way out of the place.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Breathtaking.
    UK businessman found guilty of selling fake bomb detectors to Iraq | UK news | guardian.co.uk

How could someone think this was the thing to do? Honestly, one would hope that after he serves his inevitable prison term for this (maximum is 10 years I think) that Iraq seek to extradite him charges involving the deaths of anyone killed by bombers who bypassed his "detectors".
    Not exactly one of the good guys, but hardly the worst guy in the world,

What about the guys who signed of on the purchase orders? Like honestly, the devices look like they should come with a cheap Chinese made remote control toy car,

They must have know that they were totally useless,

They must have been in on it,

And, they are still being used in Iraq, like now, as we speak,

Fckn madness

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast