Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A good deal for the Irish in immigration reform deal.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Default A good deal for the Irish in immigration reform deal.

Recently a bipartisan group of Senators with broad diversity in terms of seniority and geography (known as the Gang of Eight) reached agreement on comprehensive immigration reform. The agreement is an 844 page bill, that I doubt many have read but buried on P. 734 is a deal to add Ireland to Australia in receiving an allotment of E-3 Visas. Senator Schumer (NY-D) had a provision inserted that would give Ireland up to an annual 10,500 visas, that would require the equivalent of a high school education or two years of training within the last 5 years.

Schumer said that the provision would right 1965 law that ended bias in Latin America, Asian and African immigrants but inadvertently made it difficult for Irish to obtain visas despite their strong cultural ties to the US.

The bill, as one might expect, is loaded with goodies for the state of the various Gang of Eight, Michael Bennett of Colorado got visas for more ski resort staff, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina got more visas for the meat industry (big in his state) and Marco Rubio is getting help for the cruise industry, big in Florida.

Pork fat adds to weight of immigration bill - Richmond Community Issues | Examiner.com

Of course not everyone is pleased

Dinkar Jain: Senator Schumer: Why Pork Up the Immigration Bill?

It is disillusioning when senators of the stature of Mr. Charles Schumer (D-NY) resort to wrongheaded, discriminatory, and questionable policy for the sake of narrow political interests even in safe Senate seats (in this case the senator is proposing a special Ireland E-3 VISA to appease the Irish lobby in New York).
    Currently, the E-3 visa is only available (many argue unfairly) to Australians.Is this what we need in the U.S. at a time of excessive unemployment -- high school graduates or less from Ireland?

As per the bill, it only applied to the Republic of Ireland. Previously, Northern Ireland was carved out of the UK for the purposes of the visa applications. Details on P. 734

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...-113s744is.pdf

Australia got this deal some years ago, but it was an easier to pass, as the fact that Australia had supported the US in every war was used to sell the deal to a skeptical Congress.

If the deal gets nitpicked, the whole thing could unravel. Let’s hope it gets passed and not just for the Irish.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I fear for any meaningful immigration reform in the wake of the Boston bombings.
    History will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KongMing View Post
    I fear for any meaningful immigration reform in the wake of the Boston bombings.
    I don't think that will derail it, it might delay it with extra security related amendments etc but the deal was cobbled together by a diverse array of Senators designed for maximum cover. The group includes the numbers 2 and 3 Democratic Senators, a Hispanic Democrat and Hispanic Republican, the two Arizona Senators etc

I think the Boston bombing will do more harm to gun control measures but that is already covered on another thread.

Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

E3 is popular here and makes it a cinch to move to the states... All you need is a job offer that requires a degree, or x years of experience. It was added as part of the Free Trade Agreement negociated between Aus and the USA back in the early noughties. And yes, being a military ally helps too.
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KongMing View Post
    Why?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Parlon View Post
    E3 is popular here and makes it a cinch to move to the states... All you need is a job offer that requires a degree, or x years of experience. It was added as part of the Free Trade Agreement negociated between Aus and the USA back in the early noughties. And yes, being a military ally helps too.
    Irishmen fought and died since the countries inception right up until their civil war.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If American immigration policy was ever influenced by the behaviour of any of its immigrant minorities, the Irish should have been banned from entering the States decades if not centuries ago...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

America wants our skilled workers but not our skill less underclass!

meanwhile we are stuck with 100,000 foreign born welfare consumers who can't or won't work in Ireland!

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So now the Irish are special immigrants.

That should get the other immigrant groups angry at them in no time.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefly View Post
    Because the American equivalent of you , ie looneys will use it to increase the fear factor
    Why do you think I am a 'looney'?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast