Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Micheál Martin's Petty Obsession with Sinn Féin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Micheál Martin's Petty Obsession with Sinn Féin

From today's IT,
    Fianna Fáil Micheál Martin has made a scathing attack on Sinn Féin and the Provisional movement, saying that they have "not the slightest connection" with the Republic declared in 1916.
    The inhumanity of many of their actions, the lasting damage they caused and their sectarian behaviour disqualifies them from claiming to be part of an unbroken chain.
    "I will never tire of making the point that the Provisional movement sullied the name of Irish republicanism, undermined it in their capacity to undermine different traditions in Ireland, done damage by their violence, embedded division and bitterness.
    Has Martin been spending a little too much time with a certain E. Harris...no wait that's too obvious, let's say Eoghan H.? Remember this is the latest in a trend.

Seriously, you'd expect comments such as above from certain sections of Fine Gael and maybe Labour but from a Fianna Fáil leader? Well, ok probably. In relation to the charges of inhumanity and sectarianism, has he completely forgotten about the causes of the troubles, the other not insignificant parties involved or the sectarian nature of the Northern Irish state? Maybe Micheál is trying to follow in the (ig)noble footsteps of his spineless shoneen predecessor (and fellow Corkonian I am sad to say) Jack Lynch? Maybe like the strand that followed, he uses pretend indignation to conceal a certain insecurity about FF's embarassing record on the National Question since the late '60s, only marginally improved during the Peace Process.

Of course, Martin wants to protect his republican flank. Three things to say about this: Firstly, does FF even have a republican flank anymore? For example, they haven't cared about a United Ireland for a long time. Gimmick or not, at least the Border Poll proposal was some attempt to get a debate going. Secondly, is attacking SF going to win favour with the snaking regarder barstooler constitutency that deserted FF when the IMF came in? Thirdly, shouldn't Martin, as our ever-so-responsible leader of the opposition, be more concerned about the government and advancing the republican agenda rather than fighting some petty factional rearguard action? Isn't this undermining his whole effort to come across as the elder statesman who cares about more than the section interests of De Party?

I guess Micheál just wants to be the only republican in the village...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Main opposition leader tries to undermine other opposition party shocker.
    I was ready to love the world, but no one understood me, so I learned to hate.
    - Mikhail Lermontov

Politics.ie Member Socratus O' Pericles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Inda has employed vaguely the same strategy.
    GA:The Governments management of the economy is appalling!
    Inda: What about Jean Mc Conville?

Dismal stuff really.
    The truth of an idea is not a stagnant property inherent in it. Truth happens to an idea. It becomes true, is made true by events.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I get trying to guard the republican flank, but it's ridiculous to pretend SF haven't had a sea change in behaviour and attitude both through words and action over the past 20 years.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior of Destiny View Post
    Main opposition leader tries to undermine other opposition party shocker.
    Usually they concentrate their efforts on the government, especially one with such a large majority.
    Now, of course it could be in his interest. I'm just pointing out that:
    1: it gives lie to the notion that he is some statesmanlike figure and
    2: it lacks the credibility to even work.

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Aw crap..I'm so torn as to which party I'm never going to vote for..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

SF have 8% to 10% or so of the vote FF need to get back to where they were before the crash. They'll never get it back, but they'll never get over losing it to SF either.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Hank Tree View Post
    Usually they concentrate their efforts on the government, especially one with such a large majority.
    Now, of course it could be in his interest. I'm just pointing out that:
    1: it gives lie to the notion that he is some statesmanlike figure and
    2: it lacks the credibility to even work.
    You see the problem with saying that is you assume politics to function logically, it does not.

It was SF who started the idea of sly digs at FF when it was thought that SF could eventually replace FF as the main opposition party. However SF really missed an opportunity to knock out FF and now that FF are leaving SF in the dust in the polls and such I imagine Martin won't make the same mistake and plans to keep SF out of the big gains territory come 2016 and possibly force them into the position of potential junior partners rather than major party in the eyes of the electorate.
    I was ready to love the world, but no one understood me, so I learned to hate.
    - Mikhail Lermontov

Politics.ie Member APettigrew92's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think this is true of all Parties in Ireland at the moment.

Gimmemore and co are also very fond of defending their pathetic performance with juxtaposing ridiculous issues such as how Labour's disgraceful adherence to their policies is somehow, in some way, relevant to the IRA's handling of the War up North.

"Can the Minister please explain how he can defend Dr. O'Reilly ahead of Deputy Shorthall?"
    "...[loading generic rant] To think that Sinn Féin have the nerve to question us when they walk over gravestones on a daily basis! [blathering imbecility, loose referencing]"
    Avarus animus nullo satiatur lucro - Latin Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Hank Tree View Post
    From today's IT,

Has Martin been spending a little too much time with a certain E. Harris...no wait that's too obvious, let's say Eoghan H.? Remember this is the latest in a trend.

Seriously, you'd expect comments such as above from certain sections of Fine Gael and maybe Labour but from a Fianna Fáil leader? Well, ok probably. In relation to the charges of inhumanity and sectarianism, has he completely forgotten about the causes of the troubles, the other not insignificant parties involved or the sectarian nature of the Northern Irish state? Maybe Micheál is trying to follow in the (ig)noble footsteps of his spineless shoneen predecessor (and fellow Corkonian I am sad to say) Jack Lynch? Maybe like the strand that followed, he uses pretend indignation to conceal a certain insecurity about FF's embarassing record on the National Question since the late '60s, only marginally improved during the Peace Process.

Of course, Martin wants to protect his republican flank. Three things to say about this: Firstly, does FF even have a republican flank anymore? For example, they haven't cared about a United Ireland for a long time. Gimmick or not, at least the Border Poll proposal was some attempt to get a debate going. Secondly, is attacking SF going to win favour with the snaking regarder barstooler constitutency that deserted FF when the IMF came in? Thirdly, shouldn't Martin, as our ever-so-responsible leader of the opposition, be more concerned about the government and advancing the republican agenda rather than fighting some petty factional rearguard action? Isn't this undermining his whole effort to come across as the elder statesman who cares about more than the section interests of De Party?

I guess Micheál just wants to be the only republican in the village...
    So to be a true FFailure republican you must ignore the northern nationalists for decades, execute other republicans, help the Brits seal the border, extradite suspects, pass info to loyalist death squads via the Britz, cover up the worst mass murder of the Troubles, take backhanders from the rich, engage in all manner of corruption, sell our sovereignty to the EU, run the country for the elite, crash the economy, mortgage our future to the troika and attack the poor and vulnerable to pay off the billionaires. and he says SF gave republicanism a bad name!!!!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast