Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Travellers' rights: the blindspot in our backyard?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Travellers' rights: the blindspot in our backyard?

Many Irish activists and politicians have achieved international prominence over the years by taking on certain human rights causes in another country. The West Bank and Gaza would spring to mind at the moment. East Timor was another cause celebre back in the late 1990s.

It's not my aim to attack well-intentioned people who take on a cause with a wholly altruistic motivation but I have sometimes wondered: shouldn't we be looking a lot closer to home at one particular minority here in Ireland? I'm referring to the Travellers.

The table below compares certain demographic statistics of Irish Travellers with those of people in parts of the world that feature (or would have featured) on the intinerary of many Irish activists over the years. It should be clear that when it comes to minorities in need of help, we don't need to go haring off half way around the world. The figures for Irish Travellers more often than not compare poorly to those of the supposed victims in far off countries.

To put it more baldly, going by the CIA World Factbook, Irish travellers would be:
    - 199th in the world on unemployment
    - 185th in the world vis a vis Traveller male life span
    - barely above countries such as Libya and equivalent to Albania on infant mortality
    - until quite recently, Irish Travellers would have ranked below the West Bank on infant mortality

So, like charity, shouldn't campaigns for human rights begin at home?

Sources:
    1. http://lenus.ie/hse/bitstream/10147/...ActionPlan.pdf
    2. http://www.iprt.ie/files/Voices_Unheard_June_2011.pdf
    3. The history of Irish Travellers' struggle for civil rights and ethnic recognition | Workers Solidarity Movement
    4. Life expectancy of Travellers remains low - irishhealth.com
    5. 2002 Census Of Population Volume 8 - Irish Traveller Community - CSO - Central Statistics Office
    6. https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/tt.html
    7. https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/gz.html
    8. https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/we.html
    9. Travellers excluded from labour force
    Eagla agus eaglais: an bhfuil an fhréamh teangeolaíochta céanna acu?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post

So, like charity, shouldn't campaigns for human rights begin at home?
    how would it be charity beginning at home whenm they see themselves as not irish due to their unique customs and heritage?
    "I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2nd only to romanians in thieving
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How much of their lifestyle which contributes to the above figures is brought on by themselves. There is no excuse in modern Ireland why they cannot have a good life living in parity with the settled folk. But the differences remain.
    This is why Ireland absolutely refuses to look at travelers as a separate ethnic minority where they are recognised as such in the UK as it would look terrible if an ethnic minority rather than a cultural group as they are classed here suffers as these figures illustrate.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by artfoley56 View Post
    how would it be charity beginning at home whenm they see themselves as not irish due to their unique customs and heritage?
    No. Not at all.

They see themselves as Irish. Indeed, the ones I know are EXTREMELY proud of their Irishness. Way more so than the average Irish person. Some Travellers regard themselves as a separate ethnicity but they all regard themselves as Irish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neiphin View Post
    2nd only to romanians in thieving
    Link?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    How much of their lifestyle which contributes to the above figures is brought on by themselves. There is no excuse in modern Ireland why they cannot have a good life living in parity with the settled folk. But the differences remain.
    This is why Ireland absolutely refuses to look at travelers as a separate ethnic minority where they are recognised as such in the UK as it would look terrible if an ethnic minority rather than a cultural group as they are classed here suffers as these figures illustrate.
    I'll dig it out. It's in one of those links but most of them live settled lives now in houses/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Irish people will march to end apartheid in South Africa while voting for councillors who would impose it here on Travellers.

(The Irish traveller is recognised as an ethnic group in Nothern Ireland but are the one social group in the South where ignorant scumbags can incite hatred against with impunity).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiptar View Post
    I'll dig it out. It's in one of those links but most of them live settled lives now in houses/
    They have extremely high suicide rates and car accident deaths too.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

not to mention the high number of children of MOTC who are the subject of childcare proceedings
    "I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast