Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 64

Thread: Kids, Breakfast and school lunches

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Schomberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Dirty Old Town
    Posts
    12,342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Kids, Breakfast and school lunches

    I know this is two serpate (but linked) topics but I figured one thread is better than two so apolgises in advance if it gets a little scattered. But I was wondering do kids in any Irish schools (outside of borders) get warm lunches? When I think back to how it was when I was in school (mid to late 1990s) we went through our entire school life eating sandwiches. I don't believe that's proper fuel for a young person, it's defintely not good for concentration in schools so why hasn't anyone (outside of SF I must admit) advocated for subsided school food?

    How many people would realistically be oppossed to a small tax hike (could be done at council level I suppose too) which would mean Irish school children benefit from good warm food every day in school? It creates employment too, not to mention the increased purchases from Irish businesses. They do it differently all over Europe, in some places the food is free (Sweden) and in other places parents pay a very affordable weekly or monthly cost depending on what they order for their children based on set menus. I'm not saying Ireland has to go down the free road, but it's worth exploring the options.

    The other thing is, what does everyone feed their kids for breakfast? In a country where the kids are invariably eating sandwiches for lunch, what sort of stuff do they get for breakfast? I have mates who send their kids to school on cereal and toast. I understand mornings are hectic but still. I'm luckily in that I don't start work til later so I'm there, without any stress in the mornings. My problem is trying to vary the breakfasts. 4 days a week it's porridge with milk, stewed apple and cinnamon, yogurt, toast & cheese, and tea or juice. Fridays some kids ceral, some egg based thing (fried, scrambled, soft boiled, omelet, french toast).
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    In the kitchen
    Posts
    27,860
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Most schools would have to build an extension to accomodate school lunches. It's a good idea, but it will never happen. When I was at secondary school one of the girls used to heat beans at home and put them into a thermos to have at lunchtime.
    Disclosures Tribunal - #OnlyForTheTape...

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Kilkenny college provide meals or they did the odd time we played away games of rugby there, don't know if it was just for borders or day pupils aswell or if parents have to pay a fee.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member eoghanacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    sitting on my toilet.
    Posts
    33,357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Porridge
    Porridge
    Porridge

    Fruit
    Fruit
    Fruit


    Eat it or go hungry.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member eoghanacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    sitting on my toilet.
    Posts
    33,357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Did the troika make the government do away with breakfast clubs in disadvantaged areas?

    No point wasting good money on future junkies and alco's eh?
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Schomberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Dirty Old Town
    Posts
    12,342
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Kilkenny college provide meals or they did the odd time we played away games of rugby there, don't know if it was just for borders or day pupils aswell or if parents have to pay a fee.
    My school did food for the borders. They'd be sitting there tucking into their lasagnes and we'd be pulling out ham and cheese sandwiches for the millionth time.

    Don't see the problem with an extension? How big would it really have to be? Most schools have lunch rooms anyway and you don't need to have every class having lunch at excatly the same time.
    What have British in Ireland contributed to Ireland? Nothing of the scale that the Irish have contributed to Britain. - Runswithwind.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Victor Meldrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Clubbed into insensibility
    Posts
    7,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    My school did food for the borders. They'd be sitting there tucking into their lasagnes and we'd be pulling out ham and cheese sandwiches for the millionth time.

    Don't see the problem with an extension? How big would it really have to be? Most schools have lunch rooms anyway and you don't need to have every class having lunch at exactly the same time.
    I never ate in the refrectory* at school, I cycled home and had beans on toast or a poached egg, which I made for my older brother and myself (Mum worked, and my brother was not domesticated...). Largely because it was better than sandwiches, and largely because it let me watch telly at lunch time. I ate those for 6 years....

    *poncy word for the Canteen, apparently the food was shocking, and expensive.

    Lunch at the same time for all classes is necessary in secondary schools form a yard supervision rota schedule perspective.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    675
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schomberg View Post
    I know this is two serpate (but linked) topics but I figured one thread is better than two so apolgises in advance if it gets a little scattered. But I was wondering do kids in any Irish schools (outside of borders) get warm lunches? When I think back to how it was when I was in school (mid to late 1990s) we went through our entire school life eating sandwiches. I don't believe that's proper fuel for a young person, it's defintely not good for concentration in schools so why hasn't anyone (outside of SF I must admit) advocated for subsided school food?

    How many people would realistically be oppossed to a small tax hike (could be done at council level I suppose too) which would mean Irish school children benefit from good warm food every day in school? It creates employment too, not to mention the increased purchases from Irish businesses. They do it differently all over Europe, in some places the food is free (Sweden) and in other places parents pay a very affordable weekly or monthly cost depending on what they order for their children based on set menus. I'm not saying Ireland has to go down the free road, but it's worth exploring the options.

    The other thing is, what does everyone feed their kids for breakfast? In a country where the kids are invariably eating sandwiches for lunch, what sort of stuff do they get for breakfast? I have mates who send their kids to school on cereal and toast. I understand mornings are hectic but still. I'm luckily in that I don't start work til later so I'm there, without any stress in the mornings. My problem is trying to vary the breakfasts. 4 days a week it's porridge with milk, stewed apple and cinnamon, yogurt, toast & cheese, and tea or juice. Fridays some kids ceral, some egg based thing (fried, scrambled, soft boiled, omelet, french toast).
    My sons school has a small cafe where they can buy hot food at lunch which is great, it also has a breakfast club. It's very small, so would have difficulty coping if it had to provide hot meals for all students. I think this is the only school in our area with these facilities and it is only available from 2nd class upwards. I'm rather envious of the UK system whereby these facilities are standard in all schools.

    Regarding breakfast, we have a bit of a horse and water situation in our house. Although care may be taken over nutritional content, it may not necessarly be comsumed in a timely manner, so breakfast becomes a mobile affair. He has been known to roll up to the school still eating a slice of reheated pizza or toast, (or on occasion wearing his breakfast, if I have to break suddenly) which does nothing for my credibility but better that than hungry. Thank god for multi-vitamins.

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member tigerben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Midleton
    Posts
    4,621
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Breakfast for my kids weekly is a mixture of brown toast, cereals, boiled/poached or scrambled eggs, beans or spaghetti hoops and tea.

    I am bored with lunches though, sandwich ( ham , chicken salad, wraps or crackers) cheese cubed, frubes , apple , cereal bar and water or juice.

    As for paying extra , some parents won't/can't pay for swim classes in the school that the 4th, 5th and 6th class are meant to be doing. It was cancelled last week due to lack of payment. In the schools there seems to be a stand off where Irish parents are sick of paying for extras and new comers aren't paying but still able to take part. So they're not paying now and expect their child to be able to take part free.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member harshreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Funny you are mentioning this topic Schomberg because last Friday I saw a line of secondary students queuing out the door of a Subway outlet. I fear for the health of our children if that is what some are eating on a regular basis.
    A tax to pay for healthy lunches in schools is one fee that I would not mind paying and I don't have any school going children.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •