Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High court ruling quashes the anti begging law

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default High court ruling quashes the anti begging law

Some excellent news for the most disadvantaged, vulnerable people in the community. The Criminal Justice (Public Order) 2011 Act, which prohibited begging near ATMs and shops has been quashed. Gardai now have to establish whether beggars have a licence under the Street and House to House Collection Act of 1962.

The High Court case was brought in the names of two men – Florin Rostas, a Roma gypsy, and John Maughan.

Their lawyers argued successfully that under the Act the gardai must establish that they did not have a licence to solicit money from the public.

Both had been charged under Section 2 of the 2011 Act, which prohibits begging that involves harassment or obstruction.

The 2011 Act defines begging as requesting or soliciting money "other than in accordance with a licence, permit or authorisation".

The High Court found that the gardai were obliged "to establish a prima facie case that the begging took place without legal authorisation".

It added: "Once this is established the burden of proof is transferred to the accused to establish a reasonable doubt as to the legality of the begging.

"It is a matter for the trial judge to decide if a prima facie case has been established."

The High Court case succeeded in January last year but it took a further year for the bulk of the begging convictions – it is understood there were around 200 convictions – to begin being struck out on appeal.

Once this began the beggars began returning to the streets.
    High Court ruling helps put beggars back on our streets - Independent.ie

I must say that I thought this law was, at least in part, motivated by racism towards the Roma community. At least now they can practice their culture with much less fear of being arrested by the gardai. Well done to the solicitors and the judge involved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ffs.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

poxy ruling
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They should criminalise the act of giving money to non-charitable street collectors. The fine would be equal to the amount given, and the money taken and given to proper charities.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Herron View Post
    Some excellent news for the most disadvantaged, vulnerable people in the community. The Criminal Justice (Public Order) 2011 Act, which prohibited begging near ATMs and shops has been quashed. Gardai now have to establish whether beggars have a licence under the Street and House to House Collection Act of 1962.

High Court ruling helps put beggars back on our streets - Independent.ie

I must say that I thought this law was, at least in part, motivated by racism towards the Roma community. At least now they can practice their culture with much less fear of being arrested by the gardai. Well done to the solicitors and the judge involved.
    You're not fooling anyone, troll.
    Repeal the 27th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does this mean that the Gardai must first ask the person who is begging whether they have a license to collect money before they can move them on?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah but Don you think everything is some form of racism.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Yeah but Don you think everything is some form of racism.
    I like the bit where he says they can practice their culture. petunia
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've a Roma neighbour who used to own a stall in the market which he and his family worked for the last two years and a few before that.

He saved up enough to be able to sign a lease on a shop on the main street and is doing quite well.

He abhors seeing his own begging. Says it makes it harder for the likes of him who wish to become accepted to do just that.

I drew parallels with the first Italian immigrants to America and the following of that by the maffia and how after a generation people began to realise that not all Italians are mafioso and that in time people here will come to realise that not all roma are criminals.

He welcomed the ban on begging as he said 'It will stop the gangs traveling here and allow those in the community (Roma) present another face of the Roma people.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast