Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The beginning of the end of Apple

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default The beginning of the end of Apple

First off: This website will die based on its current carcass of refresh and loading speeds. In an age where 50mb broadband pipelines are considered the norm, and streaming of videos and TV is a basic minimum, the fact that the website takes an age to consult Facebook, Twitter, Adtech and whatever other sites it's linked is simply unacceptable.

It's getting worse, not better

Back to business. In the olden days I was always a fan of Apple on the basis of how cool and visual their technology was, compared to the omnipresent and evil empire that was Microsoft. Not only that, but the cool people (designers and artists) used Apple computers too, whereas all the suits used PC clones. It was also very much a David and Goliath scenario and it's easy to root for the smaller guy.

When Jobs came back to Apple I was still very much in their corner, even though I have never, and now, probably will never, use their technology or software. My respect and admiration dwindled somewhat as Apple forged ahead with their ubiquitous iPod and iPhone devices, not to mention their iTunes site. This change of heart I put down to good old begrudgery, they were now turning into what Microsoft was, and being exceptionally successful too. Nonetheless, I was content on the basis that they were always going to fail at some time.

Where I was wrong was how long this was going to take. Most of that can be credited to Steve Jobs.

I was convinced that the iPad was going to be a disaster. How can you not have a keyboard? Surely the screen would be too small to make videos, movies and browsing web pages a pleasurable experience? Well, we all know how that one ended up...

But I knew I was still right. This week we will have the first proof of this as Apple announces its first fall in profits for 10 years, about 16% I would say, based on decreased sales in one critical area, the iPhone 5. Now this is not the end of Apple, who of course will be a strong factor in technology advances and devices over the next 10 years or so, but what it will do is start the decline in popularity that was always inevitable.

I don't take any great pleasure in this. But what it does do is prove a maxim. Much like the maxim about not taxing and cutting your way out of a recession. For businesses to fail and succeed, they need competition. The more competition, the greater the drive is to succeed. In the critical iPhone and now iPad markets, Apple were always going to lose, because they only had themselves to drive their propriety software and components forward.

With android, Sony, Samsung and HTC have been killing each other over the last 5 years pushing the technology boundaries of both themselves and their suppliers. This fight for supremacy will be ongoing, but at this point, the iPhone will cease to be seen as an equal, just as a target to gain more business from.

Cross-party platforms will always win out over monopolies. By popular acclaim, the best phones in the world are the HTC One, the Galaxy S3 and then the Sony Xperia Z. The iPhone 5 comes fourth. By the time we get to an iPhone 7 it may be 10th, and because Apple lock customers into iTunes and other propriety systems, once they start losing market share, the knock-on effect is calamitous.

Last edited by Malbekh; 21st April 2013 at 01:41 PM.
    Blessed be the threadmakers.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apple believed their own publicity. Jobs dictating the future direction of the iPhone is a case in point. I can't see the iWatch saving the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I own an iPhone 4S and a MacBook Pro. Both are good machines but ridiculously overpriced. You pay a lot for the sleek finish and little apple on the back. Wouldn't buy Apple again in their current incarnation. Will go for substance over style next time.

Politics.ie Member Kevin Parlon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Apple is fukd. And I will dance on their grave. To think of the amount of abuse MS got, and they were not even a fraction as monopolistic as Apple are. Apple's greed has been their downfall.
    "It is amazing how many people think that they can answer an argument by attributing bad motives to those who disagree with them." - Thomas Sowell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The fatal flaw in Apple is their attempts to get all of us to use products built soley on their software / products. The seeds of their destruction are in their greatest victory? Or is it that individual products fall back behind rivals, in technical capability, useability etc?

the tech sector has a high degree of turbulence = change x rate of change.

Just look at RIM (BlackBerry) & Nokia.

There has been bloodletting at a senior level at Apple recently. Lets see whether a deeper change takes place in its culture. They surely have to collaborate more with rivals / potential rivals. We can access other software on Apple products, not least MS office and particularly Apps. The latter are key, it becomes iterative - a virtuous or viscious circle. The more apps on Apple products, the better for Apple and Apple users; the easier it is for other software producers to use Apple platforms the more Apps produced for Apple and its users.

It is interesting that Sky uses game theory in a different way, they do collaborate with rivals, carrying BBC programmes not only in the UK but West Clare, Sligo and the Black Valley. Where the programmes are on the EPG though is in obscure places. Also the far superior BBC News Channel isn't carried.

Btw I'm writing this on an ipad. I never thought I'd buy one. Now I'm never without it.
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by westernyelp View Post
    I own an iPhone 4S and a MacBook Pro. Both are good machines but ridiculously overpriced. You pay a lot for the sleek finish and little apple on the back. Wouldn't buy Apple again in their current incarnation. Will go for substance over style next time.
    Wife and No 1 son both have iPads. Constanly bumming my ancient Samsung Netbook (Euro 300 when new) whenever they need to do any work.

My Samsung galaxy 3 is also better in almost every way than wife's iPhone 4.
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons......

'Crunch time for Apple', surely should have been the thread title!

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    'Crunch time for Apple', surely should have been the thread title!
    Really?...I would've gone with "The great apple crumble"

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintop View Post
    So, choux me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintop View Post
    Something rotten at the core....?
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons......

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast