Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 90

Thread: Sindo puff piece on FF ard fheis

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member carlovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default Sindo puff piece on FF ard fheis

    I know it's the sindo and I know the paper of willie odea and celia Larkin is akin to a ff magazine
    but this article is really pushing it.

    The headline is FF ard fheis to address biggest reform in the party's history.

    FF Ard Fheis to address 'biggest reform in party history' - Independent.ie

    What's the reform you ask ?

    Well, the sindo doesn't really know but it's something to do with the party keeping its election promises only
    the sindo just says that the motion may be something to that effect.

    Wow, what an amazing reform.

    So at the next election ff will promise things but this time they really will keep the promises.

    Or something to that effect !
    I believe that children are the future

    Unless we stop them now.

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Somewhere between Akureyri and Ushuaia
    Posts
    8,999
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carlovian View Post
    I know it's the sindo and I know the paper of willie odea and celia Larkin is akin to a ff magazine
    but this article is really pushing it.

    The headline is FF ard fheis to address biggest reform in the party's history.

    FF Ard Fheis to address 'biggest reform in party history' - Independent.ie

    What's the reform you ask ?

    Well, the sindo doesn't really know but it's something to do with the party keeping its election promises only
    the sindo just says that the motion may be something to that effect.

    Wow, what an amazing reform.

    So at the next election ff will promise things but this time they really will keep the promises.

    Or something to that effect !
    Noel Whelan was always on about "reform" when Cowen was in office. Sadly the only thing he reformed was several bar stools.

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,581
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    At this point I've come to the opinion that when people don't feature extracts from the article they're deriding, they're usually being disingenuous.

    The reason "biggest reform in history" is in quotations is because it's a quote from an FF TD. It's not the Sindo's words.

    It is further understood that a second motion, which proposes major reform on how a future Fianna Fail leader is chosen, will also come before the Ard Fheis on April 26 and 27 next.

    Over the course of the last year, Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin is said to have received advice from international sources on leader election systems. It is understood that, at the Ard Fheis, he intends to open a "consultation process" on his preferred electoral college model.

    This model would see elected TDs and senators continue to have a central role in the process, but that all other units of the party would also be involved, with different blocks each having a different weight of votes.
    Would you seriously argue the above isn't a huge change? Moving leadership battles to include 20000 rank and file members rather than just TDs and Senators?

    The Sindo's a rag but all they've done here is a short article talking about an ongoing conference, the fact that those attending the conference believe new proposals are a big deal, and going into detail on the proposals, one of which does appear to be a big deal.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member carlovian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    At this point I've come to the opinion that when people don't feature extracts from the article they're deriding, they're usually being disingenuous.

    The reason "biggest reform in history" is in quotations is because it's a quote from an FF TD. It's not the Sindo's words.



    Would you seriously argue the above isn't a huge change? Moving leadership battles to include 20000 rank and file members rather than just TDs and Senators?

    The Sindo's a rag but all they've done here is a short article talking about an ongoing conference, the fact that those attending the conference believe new proposals are a big deal, and going into detail on the proposals, one of which does appear to be a big deal.
    Oh come on sync.

    Using an unnamed source to justify such a headline ?

    That way they can put in any headline they want.
    I believe that children are the future

    Unless we stop them now.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member Boy M5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    21,702
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    It does seem some change

    Bearing in mind Miliband beat Miliband in the Labour leadership election soley due to an electoral college where Union votes made the difference. FF leadership candidates would have to court the base, rather than TDs. It will democratize FF and their Cumann will likely have some power.
    Is this an attempt to revitalise the Cumann and wider membership?
    "Keep firing & don't stop until I tell you" General Tom Barry

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member truthandjustice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    1,774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    FF can suck my fat one, more free advertising from them idiots in the weekly toilet roll.

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    27,581
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    It does seem some change

    Bearing in mind Miliband beat Miliband in the Labour leadership election soley due to an electoral college where Union votes made the difference. FF leadership candidates would have to court the base, rather than TDs. It will democratize FF and their Cumann will likely have some power.
    Is this an attempt to revitalise the Cumann and wider membership?
    Exactly. Seriously, a party opening it's leadership vote up to the public is a huge deal for the party and is worthy of the line "biggest reform in the party's history".

    To disagree with that you've got to have a bigger internal reform in FF's history in mind. I'll bet people don't.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    No change here. The power will still rest at the top table, not with any Cumann

    In relation to future government, it is understood the intention is that a decision on whether to enter negotiations would be for the leader and parliamentary party.

    As Da Bart would say "They'll only be playing smokes and daggers"
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    24,147
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boy M5 View Post
    FF leadership candidates would have to court the base, rather than TDs.
    Isn't that what Haughey did in the '70s. He worked the rubber chicken circuit to propel himself into the Taoiseach's office.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member controller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,175
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    The motion has arisen out of criticism directed at Labour, which has been accused of breaking election promises upon entering coalition with Fine Gael.

    .............Because that criticism has never been directed at Fianna Failure. I suspect some sort of memory loss......
    Dear Lord Baby Jesus, I want to thank you for Pink Floyd

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •