Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: President Higgins to Host a Seminar on Ethics.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default President Higgins to Host a Seminar on Ethics.

The speakers today at an event in the National Convention Centre to mark the Bicentenary of the birth of Frederic Ozanam included President Higgins, Minister Joan Burton and Olivia O'Leary.

President Higgins' oration touched on themes of human dignity, unfettered greed within society, the legacy of individualism, the disconnect between economy, society and the person, and the need for ethics to inform all three.

Listening to him, I felt proud that I had voted for him, and can only wish him luck in his attempts to help Ireland turn a badly needed corner not based on fiscal concerns alone, but I did wonder if he will be listened to when he announced his intention to initiate a national conversation on the need for ethics to influence politics, the economy and society. I ask this at a time when members of his former political party Labour, together with their partners in FG, insist on the further penury of a people who have nothing left to give, solely to satisfy a system of governance which might spell the theme of his future seminar thus:

"Ethic$"
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    The speakers today at an event in the National Convention Centre to mark the Bicentenary of the birth of Frederic Ozanam included President Higgins, Minister Joan Burton and Olivia O'Leary.

President Higgins' oration touched on themes of human dignity, unfettered greed within society, the legacy of individualism, the disconnect between economy, society and the person, and the need for ethics to inform all three.

Listening to him, I felt proud that I had voted for him, and can only wish him luck in his attempts to help Ireland turn a badly needed corner not based on fiscal concerns alone, but I did wonder if he will be listened to when he announced his intention to initiate a national conversation on the need for ethics to influence politics, the economy and society. I ask this at a time when members of his former political party Labour, together with their partners in FG, insist on the further penury of a people who have nothing left to give, solely to satisfy a system of governance which might spell the theme of his future seminar thus:

"Ethic$"
    Ethics??? What about people's right to choose???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

in the past week President Higgins has amply displayed why over one million were right to choose him to represent us not "Bagman" - I do expect the usual posters to be replying here with invalid election etc soon but as i posted elsewhere- he won - get over it
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mido View Post
    in the past week President Higgins has amply displayed why over one million were right to choose him to represent us not "Bagman" - I do expect the usual posters to be replying here with invalid election etc soon but as i posted elsewhere- he won - get over it
    Michael D offers the usual leftist moonshine about a tax on someone else and makey uppey public sector jobs etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpurs View Post
    Michael D offers the usual leftist moonshine about a tax on someone else and makey uppey public sector jobs etc.
    indeed, the kinda moonshine that led us roaring into this bank based, property collapsing recession we now are in? need i remind you that when he was a minister he was part of the first government in the history of the state to leave a budget surplus on departure from office and a growing real economy ....not a fictional market one.
    Pity the nation divided into into fragments, each fragment deeming itself a nation - Khalil Gibran

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpurs View Post
    Ethics??? What about people's right to choose???

Well, I made an "ethical" decision not to "choose" to have a Mister Bean moment when I met the President today.

Great, he should start with the topic of how tax is unethical because it is the theft of one man's labour to reward another's fecklessness. Oh and perhaps some of the unethical human rights abuses in Cuba and unethical terror attacks against Israel.

I think I have a nice agenda covered there for him.
    "If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As Such an important subject which it is I beg to know how much space RTE will give the issue?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by richie268 View Post
    As Such an important subject which it is I beg to know how much space RTE will give the issue?

Just checked the website there richie.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0420/383...ederic-ozanam/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This continues the theme he had at the EP earlier this week. It's powerful, thought-provoking stuff, but I fear not enough people in the right places are listening.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast