Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How has your life been affected by the Coalition government cuts ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How has your life been affected by the Coalition government cuts ?

https://witness.guardian.co.uk/assig...b046e93b9623d2

GuardianWitness is the new home of user-generated content on the Guardian. You can contribute your video, pictures and stories, and browse all the news, opinions and creations submitted by others.

This site has of late gone to the dogs, We no longer discuss political events at any great length, treads are allowed to descend into trolling arguments too quickly, at any one time there will be 3 or 4 treads about sf on the front page, in all honesty they are not that important. Today we have a trolling tread about volunteerism and an equally strange one about possible irish population

For this site to be relevent it must be proactive, it must challenge the government on its follies and by equal virtue congrat it on its successes. I have seen many posters of late boast of their hatred for the "left" , this i can understand to a certain extent if the same posters are refering to the handfull of well paid union executives , i carry no candle for these guys either, but the ordinary joe is suffering, not just with wage cuts but also with the lack of and withdrawal of services

In my job i drive alot, last wednesday i came apon 3 different cars at different times broken down, i regurlarly see people walking to the filling station with a jerry can, i see crowds gathered around the reduced section in tesco.
    A dear friend of mine told me the other week that he cannot afford to feed both himself and his children
    I am watching my friend whom i love like a brother wasting away while he tries to shield his kids from he's reality

i would like contributers on this tread to post pictures and stories that they know first hand to be accurate and true of the collapse in our society, the broken cars , the unfinished estates, the potholed roads, the dumped rubbish in woods and gateways
    This is not to kick the government but to embarres them into action
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Politics.ie Member H.R. Haldeman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There are vast, vast swathes of people for whom the recession might as well be happening in Burundi for all it effects them.

Also, a pet bugbear of mine: 90% of the hardship people are feeling is because of job loss or excessive debt, and nothing whatsoever to do with government cuts. "Austerity" has merely become the blanket, go-to phrase to describe all these woes, but it is not generally speaking descriptively correct.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H.R. Haldeman View Post
    There are vast, vast swathes of people for whom the recession might as well be happening in Burundi for all it effects them.
    All the nice fancy restaurants are packed in Dublin at the weekends. . . The middle class have been wiped out - It's those who have money and those who don't

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's not the government cuts which have affected me but the income tax rises, property tax, vat increase, robbing of my private pension pot.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also, a pet bugbear of mine: 90% of the hardship people are feeling is because of job loss or excessive debt, and nothing whatsoever to do with government cuts. "Austerity" has merely become the blanket, go-to phrase to describe all these woes, but it is not generally speaking descriptively correct.

Since when do you speak for "people"?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wishywashy View Post
    Since when do you speak for "people"?
    Hurrah!

We got to post #5 before we got an idiotic and irrelevant troll post.

Well done wishywashy. You have won a prize.
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neiphin View Post
    https://witness.guardian.co.uk/assig...b046e93b9623d2

This site has of late gone to the dogs, We no longer discuss political events at any great length, treads are allowed to descend into trolling arguments too quickly, at any one time there will be 3 or 4 treads about sf on the front page, in all honesty they are not that important. Today we have a trolling tread about volunteerism and an equally strange one about possible irish population

For this site to be relevent it must be proactive, it must challenge the government on its follies and by equal virtue congrat it on its successes. I have seen many posters of late boast of their hatred for the "left" , this i can understand to a certain extent if the same posters are refering to the handfull of well paid union executives , i carry no candle for these guys either, but the ordinary joe is suffering, not just with wage cuts but also with the lack of and withdrawal of services

In my job i drive alot, last wednesday i came apon 3 different cars at different times broken down, i regurlarly see people walking to the filling station with a jerry can, i see crowds gathered around the reduced section in tesco.
    A dear friend of mine told me the other week that he cannot afford to feed both himself and his children
    I am watching my friend whom i love like a brother wasting away while he tries to shield his kids from he's reality

i would like contributers on this tread to post pictures and stories that they know first hand to be accurate and true of the collapse in our society, the broken cars , the unfinished estates, the potholed roads, the dumped rubbish in woods and gateways
    This is not to kick the government but to embarres them into action

This is not to be smart neiphin, but how did you respond to your friend who is struggling to feed himself and his children?
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very true.

I think I'm hardly effected at all.

I know people who can't get work through no fault of their own - but I also know plenty of people who were - for lack of a better term - totally fecking stupid - with their finances during the tiger years. These are otherwise smart, educated professionals who just lost their freckin' minds when it came to property and are now deep in 'austerity'. Its hard to feel for them.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Austerity is slowly strangling our country, Fianna Fail broke our economy,This crowd is
    slowly killing the spirit of the people, Unemployment still at 14%, Depending on inflation
    and growth, not a sign of either.Foreign land our only solution,Shops in every town in Ireland boarded up. The only ones packed at the moment are the soup kitchens,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    This is not to be smart neiphin, but how did you respond to your friend who is struggling to feed himself and his children?
    pride is an awful thing,
    "If we VOTE YES there will be no more austere budgets. Fact " Hammer, mayday 12'

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast