Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 355

Thread: What should our population be?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member Malbekh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Carrickmines
    Posts
    2,959
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default What should our population be?

    Greetings.

    Firstly I would ask (in vain), that the various anti-immigration agenda monkeys would please leave this thread alone, seeing as it is based on fantasy with a little wishful thinking about future population growth. If you can't leave it alone, at least act with some civility.





    Year Population %Change
    2011 4.58m +7.4
    2006 4.24m +8.1
    2002 3.92m +8.2
    1996 3.63m +2.9
    1991 3.53m -(0.6)
    1986 3.54m +2.8
    1981 3.44m +2.3
    1979 3.37m +13.2
    1971 2.98m +3.2
    1966 2.88m +2.3
    1961 2.82m -(2.7)
    1956 2.90m -(2.2)
    1951 2.96m +0.3
    1946 2.96m -(0.5)
    1936 2.97m -(0.2)
    1926 2.97m -(5.4)
    1911 3.14m -(2.6)
    1901 3.22m -(7.1)
    1891 3.47m -(10.3)
    1881 3.87m -(4.5)
    1871 4.05m -(5.7)
    1861 4.40m -(13.9)
    1851 5.11m -(21.7)
    1841 6.53m

    The graph and the table above give raw information to what we already know. A dependence on a single crop, compounded by political, religious, social and economic issues exacerbated the disaster that was the Great Potato Famine. I'm not the right person to give any opinions on why the population continued to fall until it started to recover at the latter part of the 20th century. Other people can comment on that.

    What I am interested in however, is what people think the population of the Republic would be at this stage, if the potato blight was not as severe or if the exodus of emigration was reduced. Personally, I think a population of about 12 to 14m would be a reasonable guess. So basically, up to three times the population we have now. The population of the Greater Dublin area would be about 5m alone. Our economy would be completely different, as the larger population would drive a stronger and more competitive domestic economy.

    This destruction of our population base made us unique in Europe. Thankfully these days the reverse is true. Regardless of our onerous recession, we are still showing exceptionally strong population growth demographics.




    Fiona Muldoon of the Central Bank was once asked what positives there were to be had in Ireland in the light of our financial sector, and the debts inherent in the domestic and business system. Her answer was to highlight our strong population growth, because it was the only positive growth we could depend upon in the next few years.

    This is the positive thing. We are experiencing a population boom not just in births but also with immigration. It may well be the only positive we have over the next 5 years. Regardless of the foibles of the current government, the rest of the world will eventually recover. Exports will lead the way, and a new domestic economy will emerge from what's left of the Armageddon behind it.

    That being the case. What should our population be? Should we aim to increase it to 10-12m by 2040 or beyond? Should this growth come for EU citizens only or should we be more accommodating to all nationalities? What do you think?
    Blessed be the threadmakers.

  2. #2

    Default

    Emigrating?

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member ruserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    In the Bunker...Returning Fire!
    Posts
    29,247
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Lay back and breed for Ireland. Nice slogan for a future growth strategy.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    expanding population to 20 million by attracting the most talented people in the world to live in Ireland will solve many of our problems

  5. #5

    Default

    How many couples have put off having children, because they are trapped in inappropriate houses, or are plain broke?

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    4,226
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Lay back and breed for Ireland. Nice slogan for a future growth strategy.


    forget dieing for Ireland

    "Ride for Ireland!"

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    10,004
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Lay back and breed for Ireland. Nice slogan for a future growth strategy.


    Are you serious?

    Do you even know Fiona Muldoon?

    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member Cruimh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    County Londonderry
    Posts
    35,417
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malbekh View Post
    This is the positive thing. We are experiencing a population boom not just in births but also with immigration. It may well be the only positive we have over the next 5 years. Regardless of the foibles of the current government, the rest of the world will eventually recover. Exports will lead the way, and a new domestic economy will emerge from what's left of the Armageddon behind it.

    That being the case. What should our population be? Should we aim to increase it to 10-12m by 2040 or beyond? Should this growth come for EU citizens only or should we be more accommodating to all nationalities? What do you think?
    Population should be smaller - it used to be the dream that all of Ireland would have a self sufficient population of 20 odd million. That isn't going to happen. So, if the population gets a lot bigger, besides the problem of housing, how are these people to be employed and fed etc. at any sort of decent standard of living, let alone the standard of living presently expected?

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member Malbekh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Carrickmines
    Posts
    2,959
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post
    How many couples have put off having children, because they are trapped in inappropriate houses, or are plain broke?
    Planning for children is something based on hope, not on arithmetic. Scary figures are given on much it costs to have children, didn't stop us then, and I don't regret it now.
    Blessed be the threadmakers.

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member Malbekh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Carrickmines
    Posts
    2,959
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cruimh View Post
    Population should be smaller - it used to be the dream that all of Ireland would have a self sufficient population of 20 odd million. That isn't going to happen. So, if the population gets a lot bigger, besides the problem of housing, how are these people to be employed and fed etc. at any sort of decent standard of living, let alone the standard of living presently expected?
    Who's going to pay for your pension then Cruimh? Try hope. It works sometimes.
    Blessed be the threadmakers.

Page 1 of 36 1234511 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •