Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 400k people to be tracked down by Revenue over non payment of household charge

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default 400k people to be tracked down by Revenue over non payment of household charge

Revenue to pursue up to 400,000 who have failed to pay household charge - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Fri, Apr 19, 2013

While 73% of householders have paid up, 1/4 have held off contributing the household charge. Whether you agree with the charge or not, the govt have been pretty up front on the consequences for non payment.

If you pay now it'll be 130, 145 by may. After June it'll be 200+penalties and interest if courts/revenue/bailiffs need to be involved.

And ultimately of course it'll either be deducted at source or you go to prison for contempt for refusing to pay. The govt will keep up the publicity hopefully over the next couple of months, to give people a chance to pay. I just find it hard to believe that people are willing to pay lets say 300 (including charges/interest etc) in September say or go to prison over this. If you're super principled and just flat out disagree with an elected govts lawful taxation then....fine. Enjoy prison. If you think is is going to go away, someone needs to disabuse you of that notion.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is it with fg posters and threatening people, no wonder you have barely been let near the levers of power in years.......people must have forgotten what an arrogant bunch of ************************s they are.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Could the prison system actually take the 1/4 of the householders that have held off on paying the charge?

What's needed is poll tax type resistance, but it's Ireland so that will never happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's true, FGers have an arrogance that surpasses any other party, it is truly despicable and the reason they can never hold onto power.....they never learn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by truthisfree View Post
    It's true, FGers have an arrogance that surpasses any other party, it is truly despicable and the reason they can never hold onto power.....they never learn
    If labour pulled the plug and got rid of gilmore the next govt would be lab/ff.......people know what needs to be done, but we don't need arrogant ************************s like fg telling us how it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nonpartyboy View Post

If labour pulled the plug and got rid of gilmore the next govt would be lab/ff.......people know what needs to be done, but we don't need arrogant ************************s like fg telling us how it is.
    Lab/FF?

I will emigrate if that happens.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Revenue will do this job, just for fun. It will be as easy as taking candy off a baby. And why not? Those who pay should not subsidise those who don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefly View Post
    Wow , same old blueshirts , perhaps what we need is for the 400, 000 people to start tracking down revenue and the scumbag politicians from fine gael that introduced it , after that they can start tracking the current day lord haw haws such as yourself for your biased propaganda , your a mod supposedly , time you acted like one
    Ah but he's a mod with an agenda...
    "If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

What agenda? The Govt are telling you clearly that the option is that if you're privately/publicly employed they'll take it from source. If you refuse to pay as say a self employed person, you'll eventually get jail for contempt.

That's not party political. That's a fact. What's in dispute around it? Liking the charge/not liking the charge doesn't come into it.

My feel is that (Like TV licences and pretty much any other tax that's not deducted at source) entropy kicks in and people ignore the letters, ignore the notifications, while secretly knowing that they'll have to pay it.

What's the other realistic option? If you've been identified on this (and quite frankly if I hadn't recieved a letter in the post on this I'd keep my head well down) then the govt are tracking you.

So the options would appear to be:
    1. Pay now for €130
    2. Pay later for €145
    3. Pay later still for €200 + fees/interest/penalties
    4. Face arduous public court action and pay the fine
    5. Face arduous public court action and have the fine deducted from source.
    6. Face arduous public court action and go to prison for contempt.

What's option 7?

I don't see how facing reality makes me a Labour or FG supporter.
    Last edited by Sync; 19th April 2013 at 09:06 AM.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Revenue to pursue up to 400,000 who have failed to pay household charge - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Fri, Apr 19, 2013

While 73% of householders have paid up, 1/4 have held off contributing the household charge. Whether you agree with the charge or not, the govt have been pretty up front on the consequences for non payment.

If you pay now it'll be €130, €145 by may. After June it'll be €200+penalties and interest if courts/revenue/bailiffs need to be involved.

And ultimately of course it'll either be deducted at source or you go to prison for contempt for refusing to pay. The govt will keep up the publicity hopefully over the next couple of months, to give people a chance to pay. I just find it hard to believe that people are willing to pay lets say 300 (including charges/interest etc) in September say or go to prison over this. If you're super principled and just flat out disagree with an elected govts lawful taxation then....fine. Enjoy prison. If you think is is going to go away, someone needs to disabuse you of that notion.
    My parents were refusing to pay it no matter what as they worked all there lives, paid all there taxes (with no cheating at all) and got nothing in return. There are no services at all in my parents area as they were all removed by Fianna Fail at the start of the Celtic Tiger years. Eventually I got through to them by threatening to pay it myself, if they didn't so as to stop them ending up in court.

Years ago when people refused to pay rates the dogs in the streets knew that would fall apart.

Now it is different. The vermin from the IMF are in Ireland. Sooner or later they are going to find an excuse to go after the weakest and poorest in Ireland as they have done in every other country they have been in. How the IMF has operated in Europe the last couple of years is weird for the IMF. In Latin American and Africa, they have literally ensured the people have suffered and blamed the people for it.

Call me irrational, conspiratorial or whatever. I have sat beside people from Chile, Argentina and Malawi in language classes and have learn't a lot about the IMF. Whatever the game plan the IMF has in Europe, I do not want my parents caught up in it, when the other shoe drops.

Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast