Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Volunteers folly ...... selfishish on a horrendous scale ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Volunteers folly ...... selfishish on a horrendous scale ?

Say, for example, you earn €100 per hour in your job and one evening whilst vegging on the couch you decide you want to make the world a better place as you are not fulfilled in your work.

A few weeks later the local parish priest rings you up and says he is looking for some volunteers to roof houses of people living in ghost estates as the rain is getting heavier these evenings.

You agree to volunteer and roof the houses because you always wished to make the world a better place.

Are you making the world a better place ?

Well I think you are a selfish baxterd as you would be better off donating your money to employ a qualified roofer to do the job.

If you volunteer you are preventing a qualified roofer from getting paid for doing such a good job.

The essence here is to donate money and let the professionals do the job.

Most volunteers are not good people.
    They are, in fact very selfish as they want to get their picture in the newspaper as a do-gooder and have the craic and meet new people.

Should one donate money instead of volunteering?

What do you think ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jo9jo View Post
    Say, for example, you earn €100 per hour in your job and one evening whilst vegging on the couch you decide you want to make the world a better place as you are not fulfilled in your work.

A few weeks later the local parish priest rings you up and says he is looking for some volunteers to roof houses of people living in ghost estates as the rain is getting heavier these evenings.

You agree to volunteer and roof the houses because you always wished to make the world a better place.

Well I think you are a selfish baxterd as you would be better off donating your money to employ a qualified roofer to do the job.

If you volunteer you are preventing a qualified roofer from getting paid for doing such a good job.

They are, in fact very selfish as they want to get their picture in the newspaper as a do-gooder and have the craic and meet new people.

What do you think ?
    Might not be fair to cast them all the one colour but your not far off the mark

The essence her is th donate money and let the professionals do the job.
    I wasn't aware that priests were asking people to help finish ghost estates? Are you making this up?

I hate giving my clothes to charity as it might put a little black child out of work stitching buttons onto indigenous shirts for a dollar day, so he can feed his kid brother and make life a bit more bearable for his AIDS stricken mother. The world is a complicated moral conundrum.

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That's why intention is at least as important as outcome.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

What do you think ?
    What do I think???
    I think you are in for it when Astral sees this OP.

Re: the gist that I could garner from the OP:

I have no problem making a donation, provided it is to a worthy, proper charity, not one where 90% of my donation is spent on administration.

However, I regularly volunteer (one weekend per month) for Habitat for Humanity, and I find that it is much more rewarding, than just sending money to some faceless organization.
    History will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What do you think ?
    Unless it involves a plane ride and a good session, nobody would be interested...........do your seriously think a couple of thousand people over the years would have just handed niall mellon 4k to get the locals to build themselves houses in south afrca.......no chance.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think you are seriously wrong. According to RTE last night, the Vincent De Paul has 10,000 volunteers. If they all donated money instead of their time (assuming they could afford it), who would go out and visit families in need to give them friendship and support?

Caught between the moon and New York City
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This OP makes me feel like drilling a hole in the side of my head in the hope that the memory of reading it will leak out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsai Experiment View Post
    I wasn't aware that priests were asking people to help finish ghost estates? Are you making this up?

I hate giving my clothes to charity as it might put a little black child out of work stitching buttons onto indigenous shirts for a dollar day, so he can feed his kid brother and make life a bit more bearable for his AIDS stricken mother. The world is a complicated moral conundrum.
    I agree with you on donating chlothes to charity.
    Do-gooders have no idea what the real consequences are of their charity.
    As you mentioned, they are probably putting a local dressmaker out of business.

I think chlothes should be used to fill cavities in old building to act as insulation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crossman View Post
    I think you are seriously wrong. According to RTE last night, the Vincent De Paul has 10,000 volunteers. If they all donated money instead of their time (assuming they could afford it), who would go out and visit families in need to give them friendship and support?
    The driver of the 'Dutch Gold' delivery van?
    Clicking an ad a day keeps Politics.ie in business.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast