Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: School timetable designed for 19th century agricultural economy,Gove urges move to Asian model of longer school days & years

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default School timetable designed for 19th century agricultural economy,Gove urges move to Asian model of longer school days & years

In Asia school days of 8am -6pm are not uncommon, also Summer holidays are much shorter, Michael Gove the UK Education Secretary thinks the UK should move that way, Ireland ?

Michael Gove proposes longer school day and shorter holidays | Politics | guardian.co.uk
    British schools will soon need to change from a timetable designed for a 19th century agricultural economy to a more family friendly, flexible schedule, Michael Gove, the secretary of state for education, has told a conference.

Pupils are handicapped in comparison with their peers in other countries
    I also think it's going to be family friendly," Gove said....

In his speech, Gove held out the example of successful education systems in east Asia that demanded higher standards of their students.

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Interesting idea.

But there is something to be said for the idea of letting kids enjoy their childhood. 10 hour days with very limited time off would severely restrict that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Less time on the computer shooting people and stealing cars though.

Dylan2010

my eldest has more than 10 hours per week of outside school activities. 9-6 would kill all that so while it can be an option I wouldnt see it as the ideal model

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I always felt that complaints about the length of the school day and year only really came to the fore once we hit the situation where there were no permanent stay at home parents. Schools etc these day can be seen as a convenient way to 'mind' the children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It'd remove the problem of pre and after school child minding for parents.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

NO nO nO
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    In Asia school days of 8am -6pm are not uncommon, also Summer holidays are much shorter, Michael Gove the UK Education Secretary thinks the UK should move that way, Ireland ?

Michael Gove proposes longer school day and shorter holidays | Politics | guardian.co.uk

cYp

Politics.ie Member stopdoingstuff's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't know about the hours but we in the West definitely have to aim higher. We have been in dumbing-down mode for decades. This is fine if you want shelf-stackers and beauticians, but if you want to invent new drugs and advanced weapons systems, we need to aim higher. I don't think people are generally aware of how badly we compare to the advanced nations.
    Last edited by stopdoingstuff; 18th April 2013 at 10:29 PM.
    Faoi mhóid bheith saor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan2010 View Post
    my eldest has more than 10 hours per week of outside school activities. 9-6 would kill all that so while it can be an option I wouldnt see it as the ideal model
    Cut length of school holidays, says Michael Gove - Telegraph
    Some of the Government’s flagship academies – state schools run independent of local council controls – are using their independence to reform the school day, he said.
    Some open at 8.30am and expect children to remain until at least 4.30pm to undertake sport, music and other extra-curricular activities, it emerged.
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RobertW will have a heart attack when he sees this thread

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast