Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you feel that government finances should be like family finances?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Do you feel that government finances should be like family finances?

Do you stand by the notion that the borrowing and spending of governments is and should be the same as what a prudent typical family does?

Many, in fact most, economists disagree, but I'm willing to hear you out. There's a contradiction involved which I won't reveal yet, but I will edit this OP to post the contradiction, once people have declared their stance, saying "Yes, a government should only borrow like a family does!".

Hint: by "typical family" I'd like you to think of a couple that formed in the early 80s, got a house, worked hard, scrimped, sent 3 kids off to college and paid off the mortgage in full 5 years ago.
    Last edited by feargach; 18th April 2013 at 05:07 PM.
    When you see the words "Mises" or "Hayek" in someone's post, just ask yourself: do I really want to ban paper money and go back to gold?

You have to pity the kind of people who buy into conspiracy theories. I find the following to be the saddest words on the internet: "Re: connection between Bilderberg puppet lady gaga and viral outbreak in ukraine "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that depends on what family...

middle class stretched to the point of breaking family,
    rothschilds family
    or free council house-intergenerational welfare dependant-teen daughters already single mothers on top of housing list type of families
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't think that government finances should be like family finances, primarily because I'm terrified of being trapped by your cunning plan to expose my ignorance via your yet-as-unpublished contradiction.

I think everyone is on the edge of their seats waiting for this contradiction to be revealed.

I, personally, am on tenderhooks, and simultaneously agog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Family finances and the finances of a government bear little resemblance and only someone woefully ignorant of economics would make the connection.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A family that has a five year life cycle.
    ANGER IS A POLICY, GET OFF YOUR KNEES

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zakalwe1 View Post
    that depends on what family...

middle class stretched to the point of breaking family,
    rothschilds family
    or free council house-intergenerational welfare dependant-teen daughters already single mothers on top of housing list type of families
    The Brady Bunch.

Politics.ie Member diaspora-mick's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by feargach View Post
    Do you stand by the notion that the borrowing and spending of governments is and should be the same as what a prudent typical family does?

Many, in fact most, economists disagree, ...
    What exactly is that supposed to mean ?
    That "most economists" stand by the notion that governments should borrow and spend imprudently ... ?

Well that would explain a lot about why things are the way they are ....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The government should budget just like my mother and secondry school teachers should cease and desist from teaching the difference between micro and macro economics immediately .

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ren84 View Post
    Family finances and the finances of a government bear little resemblance and only someone woefully ignorant of economics would make the connection.
    Both can go bust though.

Both are subject to simple mathematics, as well as complex and contradictionary models.

The Irish economy was subject to simple maths: Outgoings > income.

Result: Bankruptcy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    The Brady Bunch.
    well then "hell yeah!!!"
    hot daughters, permanently sunny, flower print shirts and polyester flares!!!
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast