Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alliance set to scupper Unionist 'plan C' over cenotaph Union flag.

Do town and country dwellers have radically different prospects?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Alliance set to scupper Unionist 'plan C' over cenotaph Union flag.

A proposal to have the union flag fly over the cenotaph in the grounds of Belfast City Hall is set to be rejected on equality grounds. Alliance has the power to pass it, if they supported the DUP motion introduced by councillor Lee Reynolds. A recent Tele poll concluded Alliance Party activists are overwhelmingly united in support of its policy on designated flying days for the Union flag in Belfast. It seems this will continue in relation to the cenotaph flag.

Unionist 'plan B' was to attempt force a review into extending the number of days the union flag is flown over Stormont's parliament building. Alliance, SF & the SDLP all boycotted the meeting to discuss it, citing it as political games.

On December 3 last year, Alliance councillors amended a nationalist motion to stop flying the Union flag on City Hall so that it would instead fly 17 days a year. This resulted in riots, road blocks, criminal records, jail terms and red faces.

Although in the immediate aftermath of unionist protests it seemed Alliance would back the Union flag to fly over the cenotaph 365, it has rightly taken the same advice that was given over flying the union flag every day at city hall. Alliance must be congratulated for its brave and principled stance and not giving in to a gaggle of knuckledraggers who have brought embarrassment and negative headlines to NI since December 3rd.

BBC News - Cenotaph flag plans at Belfast City Hall need Alliance support
    'Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lo and behold 'The Great Switcheroo'.

Alliance may back Union flag at City Hall cenotaph - Latest - Belfast Newsletter

Didn't Rohl Dahl reject an OBE from the Glorious British Empire?

Politics.ie Member DavidCaldwell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At the risk of stating the obvious, it would be best to find a solution that everybody finds acceptable. The Cenotaph suggestion might not be suitable, but the thinking behind it seems to be heading in the right direction.
    An East Irish

Politics.ie Member InsideImDancing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCaldwell View Post
    At the risk of stating the obvious, it would be best to find a solution that everybody finds acceptable. The Cenotaph suggestion might not be suitable, but the thinking behind it seems to be heading in the right direction.
    Flying it at the cenotaph is just sectarian territory marking.

If they do it Nationalists will dump it altogether when they get the majority.
    Police ombudsman Nula O'loan - We found collusion on a massive scale, murders, intimidation, directing terrorism, attempted murder, drug smuggling, the list of crimes is endless..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Agreed, but don't you think it sullies the memory of the dead remembered on the cenotaph, as putting a flag there 365 was a knee-jerk reaction at 'righting the perceived wrong' in the eyes of unionist politicians in Belfast. Effectively turning the cenotaph into, at best a political tool and at worst, the setting of a political game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theloner View Post
    Agreed, but don't you think it sullies the memory of the dead remembered on the cenotaph, as putting a flag there 365 was a knee-jerk reaction at 'righting the perceived wrong' in the eyes of unionist politicians in Belfast. Effectively turning the cenotaph into, at best a political tool and at worst, the setting of a political game?
    Yes, I would agree that the Cenotaph suggestion was not suitable, particularly since it commemorates people from both sides of the community, including some who, while they were prepared to wear a British uniform while fighting Nazism, would otherwise have prefered the Tricolour to the Union Jack.

I think we need a flag for Northern Ireland.
    An East Irish

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whatever your opinions on the Union flag over Belfast City Hall argument,the fact that a contingent within the two main Unionist parties are using the War Memorial at Belfast City Hall as ammunition for their petty point scoring is pathetic and as low as it gets. I'm sure many unionist posters here would agree with me on that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Republic32 View Post
    Whatever your opinions on the Union flag over Belfast City Hall argument,the fact that a contingent within the two main Unionist parties are using the War Memorial at Belfast City Hall as ammunition for their petty point scoring is pathetic and as low as it gets. I'm sure many unionist posters here would agree with me on that.
    I would draw the opposite conclusion - that they see the flag not as petty point scoring but as having similar significance to a War Memorial.
    An East Irish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would draw the opposite conclusion - that they see the flag not as petty point scoring but as having similar significance to a War Memorial.
    They do see them the same I agree. It is very sad. Turning a world war 1 "war memorial" into a place that people who even fought for the British Army would not go to takes some doing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McSlaggart View Post
    They do see them the same I agree. It is very sad. Turning a world war 1 "war memorial" into a place that people who even fought for the British Army would not go to takes some doing.
    I think the answer is for this to be discussed and pointed out to them. I would image that the Unionist politicians aren't intending to drag the Cenotaph into controversy - that their suggestion was made in good faith.
    An East Irish

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast