Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 980 123451151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Protection of Life during Pregnancy Bill 2013

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Default Protection of Life during Pregnancy Bill 2013

In the flurry of activity surrounding the SIPTU vote yesterday, the publication of the Government’s Summer Legislative Programme seems to have been lost. Among the many Bills that they expect to publish in the months prior to the Dáil rising for the summer is the Protection of Maternal Life Bill 2013.

The description of the Bill runs as follows;

To implement the judgement of the European Court of Human Rights in A, B and C v Ireland by way of legislation with regulations, within the parameters of the Article 40.3.3 of the Constitution as interpreted by the Supreme Court in the X case, and to make appropriate amendments to the criminal law in this area.

All sounds very innocuous but this has the same potential to cause a few Fine Gael TDs to lose the whip as the rejection of CPII does for Labour. There has already been plenty of rumblings in the background (and some in the foreground) on this from FG sources. The original commitment was to have this Bill enacted prior to the summer recess but that pace may cause internal problems for FG.

The Government’s majority is huge but the slow drain is eventually going to cause instability if it continues on. Labour is already suffering from some instability because of the presence within the Dáil of a number of TDs who are no longer under the whip and who are now linking up with dissatisfied members throughout the broader party. Will this Bill cause something similar to occur within Fine Gael?
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Love the name of the bill - how could one possibly argue with the protection of maternal life?. As if that's the issue...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It sounds right so far. If any men don't like it they can go get a vasectomy.
    Its Up to ME

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    Love the name of the bill - how could one possibly argue with the protection of maternal life?. As if that's the issue...
    Prepare to have the debate framed in exactly that manner.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Politics.ie Royalty toxic avenger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    Prepare to have the debate framed in exactly that manner.
    Naturally. What heartless fiends we are, supporting maternal death...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pippakin View Post
    It sounds right so far. If any men don't like it they can go get a vasectomy.
    ............or two!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toxic avenger View Post
    It is annoying when bills get such loaded names, like in the U.S. - how could you be so heartless as to vote against the Clean Air Act or the Patriot Act or the Fair Pay Act, or a law named after a murdered child?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by florin View Post
    It is annoying when bills get such loaded names, like in the U.S. - how could you be so heartless as to vote against the Clean Air Act or the Patriot Act or the Fair Pay Act, or a law named after a murdered child?
    yep, the Clean Air Act opened up alaska to oil exploration.
    I liberate minds with my music. That's more important than liberating a few people from apartheid or whatever. - Kanye West

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Don't you want Freedom Fries? Why do you hate freedom????

I'll bet dollars to donuts this isn't voted on prior to the recess.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It makes logical sense to have it named in relation to the issue it is addressing. But that doesn't stop people identifying its alleged true purpose.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 980 123451151101501 ... LastLast