Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the social media made the world a better place?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Has the social media made the world a better place?

Technology can be used for both construction and destruction purposes. For example the air plane was a marvellous invention that increased transport and communications but it has also been used to commit acts of mass murder. The social media can claims to improve communications and allow grass roots participation in the media. However, more often than not, twitter is just a hate filled ignorant mob baying for blood. People have hailed the social media for it's role in the Arab Spring but was the Arab Spring really a positive development when it has led to secular governments being replaced by Islamic mobs?

Then there is Facebook. Primarily this is used to bully and stalk people rather than for anything positive. My friend is a primary teacher. She says she is spending an increasing amount of time dealing with bullying issues relating to the social media. Some 10 year olds have even contemplated suicide due to public humiliation and gang bullying via the social media.

I'm begining to feel there is too much media in the world so much so that it is impossible to escape from. You can now be contacted at any time and anywhere. The distintion between work time and free time has been blurred. Then there is the fact every sociopath and ignorant moron now has access to preach to the world. Take a look at this for example

Public Shaming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mostly bad as it tends to encourage the type of trigger happy nonsense that we all have when under the influence late at night and in charge of a phone.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Then there is Facebook. Primarily this is used to bully and stalk people rather than for anything positive.
    Complete over exaggeration.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

simeongrimes

I'm bored with Facebook and Twitter. Now I'm addicted to Thumb!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Good place to come for an argument but of little real or lasting worth. But social media sells itself well and many are happy to go along with the delusion of value.

Boggle

It's hard to tell. We have just gotten social media so it's likely that it will take time for people to figure out how to use it. With any luck people will adjust to dealing with trolls and we will be able to generate meaningful debate but I think we need to be patient.

I do wonder whether kids should be allowed on-line but thats something we will figure out as we go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    Complete over exaggeration.
    I would tend to agree with that. Three out of four in this house are facebookers, I am the exception.
    Needless to say, none use the facility for harassing or being harassed or bullied, although it is a serious problem, especially for younger kids, who are more susceptible to being damaged emotionally and physically by this.
    I suppose on some level, social media gives each and every one of us the chance to be famous for fifteen minutes, instead of being instructed on our world view by pontificates like Waters, Harris, and Myers.
    It's good and it's bad, but as many have pointed out here before me, it's here to stay.

Politics.ie Member Tin Foil Hat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In 37 years on this planet, I have yet to find anything quite as pointless as facebook. Twitter isn't far behind.

Politics.ie Member Crazy horse 6's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Foil Hat View Post
    In 37 years on this planet, I have yet to find anything quite as pointless as facebook. Twitter isn't far behind.

The senate?

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Social Media is just another step in various predictions over the years and decades made by the likes of Warhol, Huxley and Orwell...

All of their predictions are coming true although not necessarily in the way they envisioned...

15 minutes of fame..? Now possible for everyone via Facebook, Twitter and/or YouTube...

Big Brother is well and truly with us too, with many people actively promoting it with smart phones and aps that allow anyone with a phone to be tracked... And not only that, but through Facebook and Twitter etc. 'marketers' are gaining access to peoples' 'Likes', dislikes, opinions, friends, enemies etc. etc... and all of this data is being given voluntarily to corporations by people who'd be up in arms if the 'state' asked them for such info...

One great thing about social media though, is that 'establishments' everywhere hate it because they can't control it and their bullsh!t and spin is now torn to shreds faster than ever...

You'd think they'd learn and amend their ways... but unfortunately their main response seems to be to vilify social media at every opportunity in their attempts to curb it and control it for themselves...

Overall is social media a good or a bad thing? A bit of both but ultimately it's what you make of it yourself...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast