Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Symphisiotomy Bill being put to the Dáil. Nobody could vote against this surely?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Symphisiotomy Bill being put to the Dáil. Nobody could vote against this surely?

To vote against symphysiotomy bill would be a betrayal of victims | Irish Examiner

It was also clear at the time that the Taoiseach’s statement represented unfinished business for our State and our political system. Indeed, in his earlier attempt to address the issue of the Magdalene women — the one that he was much criticised over — the Taoiseach said in the Dáil that he was sorry for those people that they lived in that kind of environment. He went on to say “we have seen what happened to the women who underwent symphysiotomies, or Thalidomide victims, or those who were in mental hospitals — or lunatic asylums as they were referred to in those days — or many other places.”

Well, this week, the Taoiseach and the Government have an opportunity to begin to address some of that unfinished business, and I hope they take it. Tomorrow night the Dáil will vote on a piece of legislation, designed to open a door for women who suffered the barbaric treatment known as symphysiotomy.

But there is every sign that the Minister for Health and the Government might decide, in the face of Caoimhin Ó Caoláin’s bill, to close ranks behind the Walsh report. If they decide to vote the bill down because the final Walsh report isn’t ready yet, that would be a genuine scandal.

And worse, it would be a betrayal of what Enda Kenny told the Dáil a few short weeks ago. We live in a different Ireland now, he said then. If that’s true, this bill will be passed. And the door will open, at least a little bit, for one more group of people cruelly treated by Ireland’s dark past.

A straight forward "modest" bill that deserves everybody's support? Any other opinions?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's P.ie somebody will, no doubt
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Who do the women intend to sue; the gynaecologist or the State?
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A Sinn Féin Bill about barbarism.

Sure to be a winner!
    Heaven and Earth Meet in the Human Heart!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Radix View Post
    A Sinn Féin Bill about barbarism.

Sure to be a winner!
    Is it possible for single posts to be Zoo'ed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Government rarely accepts opposition Bills.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    The Government rarely accepts opposition Bills.
    Is that good enough?

Politics.ie Member Nemesiscorporation's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MacCoise2 View Post
    To vote against symphysiotomy bill would be a betrayal of victims | Irish Examiner

It was also clear at the time that the Taoiseach’s statement represented unfinished business for our State and our political system. Indeed, in his earlier attempt to address the issue of the Magdalene women — the one that he was much criticised over — the Taoiseach said in the Dáil that he was sorry for those people that they lived in that kind of environment. He went on to say “we have seen what happened to the women who underwent symphysiotomies, or Thalidomide victims, or those who were in mental hospitals — or lunatic asylums as they were referred to in those days — or many other places.”

Well, this week, the Taoiseach and the Government have an opportunity to begin to address some of that unfinished business, and I hope they take it. Tomorrow night the Dáil will vote on a piece of legislation, designed to open a door for women who suffered the barbaric treatment known as symphysiotomy.

But there is every sign that the Minister for Health and the Government might decide, in the face of Caoimhin Ó Caoláin’s bill, to close ranks behind the Walsh report. If they decide to vote the bill down because the final Walsh report isn’t ready yet, that would be a genuine scandal.

And worse, it would be a betrayal of what Enda Kenny told the Dáil a few short weeks ago. We live in a different Ireland now, he said then. If that’s true, this bill will be passed. And the door will open, at least a little bit, for one more group of people cruelly treated by Ireland’s dark past.

A straight forward "modest" bill that deserves everybody's support? Any other opinions?
    Only a religious fanatic could oppose this bill.

I hope it passes.

Those women need more than an apology. There should be criminal charges brought against the perpetrators.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MacCoise2 View Post
    Is that good enough?
    No, but that's the reality. The Government parties will not want to hand a victory to the opposition ones. That's what you get when you have a legislature dominated by the executive and the party whip system. If only we had some form of assembly that could address these necessary constitutional reforms. Of course, the Government did bring such an assembly into existence I would expect that they'd make damn sure to keep anything that would challenge the power of the centre off the agenda.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (yeah, I'm aware of the irony)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vega1447 View Post
    Who do the women intend to sue; the gynaecologist or the State?
    If the Consultant was in the employment of the State surely it would be the State.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast