Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is it so hard to pay tax in Ireland?

Politics.ie Member Disillusioned democrat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Why is it so hard to pay tax in Ireland?

I just got my annual "birthday card" from Rev Com - a 16 page Dickensian form that is harder to read than Ulysses and about as relevant to me as a map of Atlantis..."retirement relief for certain sportspersons?????

It's a nightmare to fill out - spouse's PPSN, salary, USC, etc, - all info they already have...they gave them to us afterall.

It's a real joy-killer to have to fill this out annually and I can't help thinking, as I key in this post, that there MUST be a better , easier way to give the government 50% of my salary....yet I seem to have to do all the work there too.

Does anyone else really, really hate the annual tax return form process, and can anyone come up with a better way?
    The more things change....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can you use ROS for self assessed returns? Don't know if the figures are all automatically there though. But the PAYE anytime system is pretty decent, now linked to the LPT too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Have you tried using Form 12S instead of Form 12?

It's a shorter, simplified version of Form 12 and can be downloaded from revenue.ie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In Hong Kong the whole personal tax code is just 4 pages long and a 15% flat rate

cYp
    "Yawn , am I alive yet ?"

The problem with the Irish tax system, and to be fair, we are not alone in this, is that it has evolved over a long period of time with various changes implemented by different governments and vested interest groups along the way. Once introduced, a relief or a tax becomes hard to give up and the political reality of the situation (just look at the problems we have at the moment for evidence) is there is never an opportunity to stand back and say, "if I had known where I was going to end up, I never would ahve done it this way".

Its like a simple excel spreadsheet that morphs into something massive and complicated, and you know you should redesign it knowing what your end game is, but you can't bear the thoughts of doing it.

I must admit though, ROS has made things far easier and if you are having issues you should definitely register.

Northern Ireland - without forgiveness, there is dysfunctionality.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is very "easy" to pay tax in Ireland.

Once you have a job, and you try to pay your way, you get taxed at every opportunity that the authorities can present themselves with.

Unless you are tax resident abroad, and you own chunks of the Irish media.
    Coveney's ambition is the be Ireland's next EU Commissar and Ireland will pay a price as he builds his CV to position himself sufficiently loyal to the nEU empire.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Or you could not fill in the form at all, like Bertie Ahern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
    It is very "easy" to pay tax in Ireland.

Once you have a job, and you try to pay your way, you get taxed at every opportunity that the authorities can present themselves with.

Unless you are tax resident abroad, and you own chunks of the Irish media.
    Or you get a job in Ireland where you get paid lots of different tax free allowances, unvouched expenses, tax free lump sum on retirement etc etc...
    “Still paying, still to owe. Eternal woe! ” ― Paradise Lost, John Milton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

We need an ID card system and the exchange of information between government departments. If not then you have to keep filling out forms every time.
    Even with an ID card system there are forms to fill out, but it would make it easier for sure.
    “atheism is a belief system in the same way that not playing football is a sport.”

Politics.ie Member sauntersplash's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberianpan View Post
    In Hong Kong the whole personal tax code is just 4 pages long and a 15% flat rate

cYp
    That's four pages in landscape view?

Sorry.
    "No." - Rosa Parks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast