Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LRC report calls for reform of jury service system - is this wise?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default LRC report calls for reform of jury service system - is this wise?

I am a bit surprised no one has started a thread on this already as it proposes to overturn one of the most fundamental rights of the Citizen

- the Right to be judged by ones Peers

- namely one's fellow Irish Citizens

It said allowing EU citizens and those who have been resident in Ireland for at least five years would make around 200,000 extra people available for jury duty.

I take it that no opinion poll let alone Referendum will take place before this is quietly brought in....?

However while personally object to being judged in my own Country by those who are not my fellow Citizens there are also some very important and worrying aspects to allowing people to be part of a Jury who are not fully aware of all the nuances and the vernacular of the people they are being asked to judge

This is something that in my heart the majority of Irish People would not want to see

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/commi...vice-1.1360220
    Last edited by Catalpast; 16th April 2013 at 08:42 PM.
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think its a great idea, why would some one who has lived here more than 5 years who is registered to vote, be unfit to sit on a jury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobhguy View Post
    I think its a great idea, why would some one who has lived here more than 5 years who is registered to vote, be unfit to sit on a jury.
    Non citizens have very limited voting rights.

Bad decision IMO.
    ‘The Great only appear great because we are on our knees: Let Us Rise!’ “ (James Larkin)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

With the increasing number of "new Irish" this is necessary if people are to be judged by a jury of their peers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I hope something does change, I'm not comfortable with all the invented ailments I bring to my Doctor to get out of it.

Influenza, catastrophic cerebral collapse, dissociative identity disorder, gout, leukemia. I think he suspects I'm not being honest.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The key to getting off jury duty is to inform the judge that you are prejudiced against all races.

Which, in my case, is the absolute truth!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobhguy View Post
    You have to be Citizen of Ireland or the UK to vote in General elections

Only Irish Citizens can vote in Referendums

Non Citizens otherwise can only vote in local elections
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

One wonders what criteria will be used to decide the level of competency of Foreign Nationals in their ability to fully understand a Trial conducted here?

Also if this right is extended to FNs will the Government sign reciprocal Agreements with other States to ensure that this right is extended to our Citizens in their Countries?

Didn't think so either....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It would be a bad idea to remove the exemption of teachers, doctors and nurses from jury service, given the present state of the public services.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davidcameron View Post
    It would be a bad idea to remove the exemption of teachers, doctors and nurses from jury service, given the present state of the public services.
    Teachers are not exempt.

I have been called on many occasions.

University lecturers I think, are exempt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast